Need some help from the low carbers/LGI-ers...

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, he doesn't encourage me to eat meat. Quite the opposite. It's just rather hard to coordinate an extra meat potion in meals, when I cook for both of us. So much easier just to go for the carbs and beans he is eating, so that I don't double up. I don't know if he'll ever go away from being veg. He's been this way like 6 years. I could not live w/o meat. Especially given the anemia. I finally got him away from unfermented soy within the past few months, thank goodness! Veg "fake meat" is full of it, and he used to eat a ton of that. AND all that sodium. :rolleyes: Healthy my butt it is! I love me some meat. It's just hard to keep up, is all. Veggies and meat are both store trip frequency and fridge space intensive, and both of those are low supply in this tiny apartment.

(sorry if this counts as a threadjack! I just don't get how on earth anyone can incorporate 12 1/2 cup servings of veggies into daily life!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
(sorry if this counts as a threadjack! I just don't get how on earth anyone can incorporate 12 1/2 cup servings of veggies into daily life!)
Many who try it feel so amazing that it becomes easier and easier. I can't do this every single day, but I shoot for it and often achieve it. You are young, now, so you may not feel such a remarkable difference, enough to create cravings for tons of veggies. But just wait until you approach 40....then 50! :lol:

Start now, and you will be less likely to have the troubles that some of us are trying to manage or correct.:p

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Occamstazer said:
Thanks for all the info!

I had a giant plate of steamed broccoli with salt, lemon juice, butter and pepper on it for lunch.

I CRAVE broccoli. Best veg ever!
I wish I would crave veggies. I crave garden fresh peas and strawberries, but that's pretty much it. I like radishes and carrots, too, but they seem hard to keep around.

Not liking veggies is hard when you want to eat mainly veggies! How do you all do it? Do you just really like veggies?
When I first got serious about this way of eating I made a feedbag (ziplock stuffed with assorted sliced veggies) and literally had to choke it down. I woudl gag....but forced myself to get thru it....then it became habit and got easier and I started to like what I was eating. Behavior first, acceptance follows!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Easy...
Breakfast-
Handful of carrots before coffee (1/2)
Smoothie - kefir, berries, carrots, greens, zucchini (4)
Scrambled egg with 1 c sauteed veg (2)

Snack- Feedbag snack w/2 c veg (4)

Lunch - Big @ss salad with chicken/egg/leftover meat & veggies (4)

Dinner- meat of some sort and a big pile of roasted/steamed/grilled veg (3-4)

I usually don't do the eggs, just the smoothie and I don't usually do the feedbag...just showing you easy options.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
freemotion said:
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Many who try it feel so amazing that it becomes easier and easier. I can't do this every single day, but I shoot for it and often achieve it. You are young, now, so you may not feel such a remarkable difference, enough to create cravings for tons of veggies. But just wait until you approach 40....then 50! :lol:

Start now, and you will be less likely to have the troubles that some of us are trying to manage or correct.:p
Free is so right....I never realized how crappy I felt on a daily basis until I cleaned up my diet. Wow, really shocking....not to mention that for a 42 yr old mother of 4, I look pretty dam great!

I do have a question as long as we are talking diet. I have really been craving sugar lately (last week or two) when it is around I simply must have some. This is new.

Two thoughts...one is that I am exercising more and maybe my body is just wanting more calories (weight is steady though). I swim ( 1.9mi) 3 days, run (2 mi) 1-2 and bike (15mi)1 day.

OR

I used to be in the habit of having a fatty mid morning snack...usually 4-5 slices of good quality salami and a bit of cheese. I have been out of the salami for a couple weeks....could my body just be needing more fat?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can also bribe yourself with ranch dip!
I make mine with Hidden Valley and sour cream, and then I sit down and eat a pile of raw veggies.
Carrots, a bell pepper, a cut up squash or zuke, tiny tomatoes...

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong there, I mean I know the Hidden Valley is packaged, but the sour cream is good fat, right?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
I make mine with Hidden Valley and sour cream, and then I sit down and eat a pile of raw veggies.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong there, I mean I know the Hidden Valley is packaged, but the sour cream is good fat, right?
I am able to get organic full fat sour cream so I use that. I don't use bottled salad dressing because they often contain modified food starch which can be wheat based. And many have high fructose corn syrup. A homemade ranch dressing now, mmmmm!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:

Yes, but do you want a healthier choice?

Buy some organic plain yogurt (stonybrook has no unnecessary additives)
line a strainer with a square of old t-shirt
nest strainer inside a good fitting bowl
pour in yogurt
fold tshirt closed over yogurt
refrigerate for 24 hours.

Take the yocheese (strained yogurt), dump into a bowl. Season with sea salt, pepper and minced veggies and herbs...whatever combo floats your boat. I love red bell, green onion, red onion, garlic and onion powder.

This is a real healthy dip. Read the ingredient list on the package of Ranch seasoning....if you do not know what every ingredient is don't put it into your body!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Dace said:
I do have a question as long as we are talking diet. I have really been craving sugar lately (last week or two) when it is around I simply must have some. This is new.

Two thoughts...one is that I am exercising more and maybe my body is just wanting more calories (weight is steady though). I swim ( 1.9mi) 3 days, run (2 mi) 1-2 and bike (15mi)1 day.

OR

I used to be in the habit of having a fatty mid morning snack...usually 4-5 slices of good quality salami and a bit of cheese. I have been out of the salami for a couple weeks....could my body just be needing more fat?
Often sugar cravings are really fat cravings. Look at most sugary snacks and they are also fatty snacks....bought ones are usually hydrogenated fats, but the body will accept those (with terrible consequences.) So add more saturated fats and you will likely see the cravings disappear.

Also, our bodies convert saturated fats into usable energy FAR more efficiently than any other substance, especially carbs. So you are probably needing more fat. Have fun!!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Dace said:

OR

Often sugar cravings are really fat cravings. Look at most sugary snacks and they are also fatty snacks....bought ones are usually hydrogenated fats, but the body will accept those (with terrible consequences.) So add more saturated fats and you will likely see the cravings disappear.

Also, our bodies convert saturated fats into usable energy FAR more efficiently than any other substance, especially carbs. So you are probably needing more fat. Have fun!!!
That makes sense to me. Since I stopped cutting fats my sugar cravings have decreased dramatically!