Need some help from the low carbers/LGI-ers...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
abifae said:
ToLiveToLaugh said:
What about beans?
Beans are extremely high carb! If you are trying to lose weight fast, avoid them. Ditto bananas, they are almost pure sugar.

Those are something added back in later once you get to weight and need to find out how many carbs you can actually handle a day without gaining back.

Milk is pretty high carb too :( When I have to drop my carbs I have to cut my milk.
Check out my post above about beans ;)
Milk actually has a faily low carb content, if its full fat.And the fat is required for a properly balanced diet, especially a low carb one.

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
To get into ketosis you need to consume NO carbs for the first 2 weeks. No carrotts, beets, no bananas, no low carb drinks. The point is to drain your liver of the excess sugar your body has stored. I like make a egg omelet with spinach and feta for breakfast, then eat a big lunch, FULL fat, YEAH Cheese. YUM! I will have a chef salad with EVOO and lemon juice for dressing, or a nice big steak with blue cheese crumbles. If you eat a big lunch and just have a snack for at dinner time, hard boiled eggs, asparagus or broccoli, than you should not eat dinner, Allow yourself min. 3 hours before going to sleep. Your body neeeds time to digest your days consumption. A healthy body can lose 1/2 a pound safely per day.

At 2 weeks slowly add in "good" carbs, DO NOT EXCEED 21 CARBS. Try to stay at about 14. At about 4 weeks you can hit the 21 carb mark. Your bodys limit is 21 carbs to lose weight and 29 carbs daily to maintain weight. Become a label reading fanatic! write it down in a journal or keep a log on the fridge. Unless you are running a marathon, daily, you do not need any more than this.
You do need 25 fibers a day. and remember (at week 2 and on) you can subtract your total carb count from your fiber, example, if you ate 26 carbs today and 7 fibers, you body using that as only 19 carbs for the day. You can buy a fibersure or another to add to ice tea or whatever, but caution, they have carbs to. You want to a pure psyllum husk, that is the best.
A few good books to read or have on hand is Sugar busters and the low carb bible. Both are excellent. Sugar busters instructs you how your body works and go through the carb breakdown process.
If you look at a sugar molecule and a starch molecule, they are the same. The food pyramid is making people and kids fat. Watch out for tricky foods that say no sugar, that doesnt mean they are not packed with "sugar molecules". They just use a substitue, like maltodextrim, fructose, or honey. (even metamucil tablets has maltodextrim in it) so be careful. I believe they have 4 carbs per tablet.

This method works, it works GREAT!! I have been instructing family practice patients on this for the last 7 years. I personally went from 145 pounds to 110 in four months. I will NEVER get fat again, eating low carb is awesome and filling. once you do not eat carbs, your body does not want them again,

Remember, eating Carbs keep you fat, eating Fat keeps you full!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!

I had a giant plate of steamed broccoli with salt, lemon juice, butter and pepper on it for lunch.

I CRAVE broccoli. Best veg ever!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Thanks for all the info!

I had a giant plate of steamed broccoli with salt, lemon juice, butter and pepper on it for lunch.

I wish I would crave veggies. I crave garden fresh peas and strawberries, but that's pretty much it. I like radishes and carrots, too, but they seem hard to keep around.

Not liking veggies is hard when you want to eat mainly veggies! How do you all do it? Do you just really like veggies?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Occamstazer said:
Thanks for all the info!

I wish I would crave veggies. I crave garden fresh peas and strawberries, but that's pretty much it. I like radishes and carrots, too, but they seem hard to keep around.

Not liking veggies is hard when you want to eat mainly veggies! How do you all do it? Do you just really like veggies?
All veggies require good fats for proper digestion. Plus, it taste better anyway.
One can certainy be a healthy vegetarian, but only if you are getting plenty of real fats from things like good eggs, raw dairy and even coconut oil.
Does your SO prefer that you not eat any meat?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I eat a lot of meat and dairy. Veggies are tasty, but NOT the main source of my food.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Occamstazer said:
Thanks for all the info!

You have to train your tastes. You also have to remind yourself that you have to do some things for your health whether you enjoy them or crave them or not! Most people who live healthy lifestyles did not start on that path due to broccoli cravings! :p I know I didn't....

So explore new veggies, new seasonings, new recipes, and most of all, eat them because you know you should and it is good for you! Prepare fresh veggies, not canned or frozen, for the best flavor.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Since going grain free my tastes are changing. I have never been one to crave much of anything other than carbs. Now I have mornings where I can't wait to eat my plain homemade yogurt with berries and stevia, or my snap peas! I love my snap peas. I crave asparagus some days. I'm getting there! I've been checking out lots of cookbooks from the library and looking for recipes to try. That helps. I do get bored...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Occamstazer said:
Thanks for all the info!

Oh, I wanted to say, that you have to listen to YOUR body and its true cravings. Veg may work well for your SO, but if your body is telling to eat meat, then you better get on it in a hurry, before whatever part of you is deficient, gets worse.