New Member Intro

DelcoMama82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello all,
I e already asked a few questions but this prompt keeps popping up so I figured I’d get it over with now.
Family of 6, with 8 8-week old hens (hopefully) living in South Eastern Pennsylvania.
Much more suburban than I’d like honestly. Too noisy and busy for me anymore.
We have a pretty decent front and back gardens which I’ve mostly abandoned to our largish (by suburban standards anyway) vegetable garden. Roughly 245 sq feet of raised garden bed space. It’s a lot to manage especially with a 3 year old at home all the time.
We put up a hoop house this fall/winter for the first time, which has been a major challenge thanks to voles.
Hoping to enjoy our current location until our kids go off to college and then we buy a few acres and go as off the grid and self sufficient as my husband will allow!
So hello everyone! 👋

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dogs have assured me that voles are very tasty. Athena will forcibly take them from the cats.

We have townsend voles. They are cute, slow, and dumb as rocks. They get themselves caught in the plastic hardware cloth and strangle because they wont back out.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ive seen the movement of one of ours running across the grass. My fat, asthmatic butt was able to chase it down and catch it by hand. I barely got a picture taken when the GSD snatched it from me and started crunching.

I haven't seen any other vole species here, but we should have them. They are probably just smarter. And they don't run in front of the mower when flushed.