New Member Intro

DelcoMama82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ooooo... what part of Ireland? My family was in Dublin and the Isle of Man last year.

DelcoMama82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My dogs have assured me that voles are very tasty. Athena will forcibly take them from the cats.

We have townsend voles. They are cute, slow, and dumb as rocks. They get themselves caught in the plastic hardware cloth and strangle because they wont back out.
I now see the need more than ever for cats and dogs on our suburban homestead”. They really do work!
Unfortunately my son has asthma and my husband and I are allergic and so it is not meant to be...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have perennial beds for rhubarb, strawberries, asparagus, raspberries. Also, sorrel is a perennial crop = first greens! Putting in a herb garden to get them gathered into a more central location.

I use radish as row markers. Favorite variety: French Breakfast. It's very mild, and great sliced and served with peanutbutter. Then, there's onion, garlic, bush and pole beans, sugar snaps, tomatoes, peppers, summer and winter squash, potatoes. Carrots, chard, spinach, lots of varied greens, brassicas... Some years, I grow corn. And, there's always flowers in my veggie garden. Scattered around the yard are various herbs and aromatics that I can use for teas, and toss in the chicken coop. I also wild harvest some herbs/plants to make a healing salve.

DelcoMama82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have perennial beds for rhubarb, strawberries, asparagus, raspberries. Also, sorrel is a perennial crop = first greens! Putting in a herb garden to get them gathered into a more central location.

I use radish as row markers. Favorite variety: French Breakfast. It's very mild, and great sliced and served with peanutbutter. Then, there's onion, garlic, bush and pole beans, sugar snaps, tomatoes, peppers, summer and winter squash, potatoes. Carrots, chard, spinach, lots of varied greens, brassicas... Some years, I grow corn. And, there's always flowers in my veggie garden. Scattered around the yard are various herbs and aromatics that I can use for teas, and toss in the chicken coop. I also wild harvest some herbs/plants to make a healing salve.
All sounds very good.
Any advice on growing strawberries? We’ve had 4 years without getting to eat any berries. They all get eaten by who knows what. We’ve covered in netting so I’m assuming not wild birds...

Latest posts