New Moratorium On Political Threads & Posts

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I guess we can't control people and their postings....thank goodness

It is a forum. We chat...we interact...we stray....we all go off in other directions cause something in a post makes us think of "other" experiences.

You want just the facts go to a dictionary. Find a book and read all about the subject. "just the facts mam'" isn't usually on a forum.

I know what you mean and I know how you feel cause I had to read thru a bunch of chatting and fun to get further thru the thread.....difference for me I guess is I allow it for the posters who are enjoying the forum.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If the discussion about bureaucratic red tape is on subject for the thread there is no reason why it would be considered 'banned', that isn't the point here, it's the disintegration of every single thread into a political battleground we're trying to end.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is very surprising to me.

There was a thread recently that was dedicated to talking about politics and how it effects your outlook on SS (or the question was whether it does or not).

I thought that thread was handled well...it seemed everybody behaved themselves.

I am new here and, to tell you the truth I am a bit disappointed that one can not speak their mind here without fear of getting :old told to stop it.

I mean...as long as the rules are kept....

Maybe some are not as thick skinned as you'd think they would be. And like I said, I'm new, so I don't know what kind of history about this topic has come up in the past. Maybe it is warranted.....

I thought the thread I mentioned above was civil. People were courteous to one another. A few jabs, yes, mostly in fun, but it looked like they were handled well.

We all come from different back grounds and have different opinions on things...which affect our SS lifestyle choices.

SS people are a melting pot...much like the good old USA. Its what makes this country (and I thought this website) great!

That being said, I do agree that threads that are not related to politics should indeed be left alone and should not be allowed to take that downward spiral.

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:celebrate :weee :clap :ya :thumbsup If you can't tell I am happy about your decision. Unfortunaly politcs and religion can very rarely be discussed rationally between people of different views :(

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
It is very surprising to me.

There was a thread recently that was dedicated to talking about politics and how it effects your outlook on SS (or the question was whether it does or not).

I thought that thread was handled well...it seemed everybody behaved themselves.

I thought the thread I mentioned above was civil. People were courteous to one another. A few jabs, yes, mostly in fun, but it looked like they were handled well.

That being said, I do agree that threads that are not related to politics should indeed be left alone and should not be allowed to take that downward spiral.
Your last sentence sums up the major intent of the rule and reasoning for it. It should not hamper or interfere with social interaction here at all. IMHO

Ladyhawke1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
i understand the general need for this moratorium, but i also don't think it makes sense to ban politics completely. i agree that threads that are about politics specifically are unproductive to the goal of this forum and that hijacking other threads to talk politics is bad, but there are times when a discussion of politics is integral to talking about self sufficiency.

are we now not allowed to talk about bureaucratic red tape that keeps us from selling our homegoods or installing that extra windmill? are we not allowed to talk about government-backed subsidies for industries that make our lives more difficult?

i think a lot of people have benefited from knowing that they aren't the only ones who struggle with these issues. i've got no interest in the "my political views are better than your political views" pissing contests, but i don't want to loose the ability to gain helpful, pertinent information. it's a baby and the bathwater situation.
Here! Here! :thumbsup

Ladyhawke1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Let me see????? What in the universe could be causing so much instability and insecurity that would cause so many people to search out better ways to survive? :/

I do not want to just survive, I want to live. :barnie

Discussing that which affects us all, and not bury ones head could be the answer. Adults should not act like Ostriches, because what that does, is leave a certain part of ones anatomy exposed to the world. :ep

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, Nifty--I TOTALLY agree about putting a nix on the heated political posts. You've provided us with PM links, if we choose to "Debate" offline. I know that I've shared at least one of my opinions with another forum member as a PM, and that person made it clear that we need not continue the correspondance. TACT ought to become more popular in the next decade, I believe. After ALL, my goal as a forum member is to better equip myself to care for my animals, property and family--not to change anyone's political opinions.

farmchix

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Whew! A safe place to come to learn and share; how refreshing! It wears me out constantly having to defend myself and my beliefs.... Thank you!

Latest posts