New Moratorium On Political Threads & Posts

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
A few thoughts:

1) People weren't reporting problems until threads were already deep into debate and arguing. This made our work harder.

2) We don't have the staff (and shouldn't need the staff) to moderate political debates.

3) There were many more than just a "few" people that were involved, and many received warnings and some were banned from the forum.

4) We were afraid at the rate things were going that we'd have to keep banning members, which is no fun for anybody. So in an effort to protect good people from being pulled down the rat-hole of political debates (which again, rarely end up with people feeling it was a beneficial discussion all around) we took this action.

5) If there are strongly held religious views that are causing issues like we've seen with politics, and it is as far reaching, we may be forced to take similar action there too. Hopefully everyone will continue to be respectful and post in moderation, and click the report button when problems arise.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:thumbsup I vote Nifty moderator of the year!!!!! :bow :celebrate
political opinions :smack !!!!!!!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
No problem.

I do think this forum has lost its vision of the energy threads. Very few are bringing anything to solar, wind, geo, topics. This was what attracted me in the first place.

homesteader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I for one am glad to see limits set about this. I have observed many topics railroaded into something which did not in any way resemble the original subject. This for me was frustrating to say the least. I am new here and am not in any way trying to stir anyones pot so to speak. I involve myself in this forum for information on self sufficientcy, both what I may offer as well as what I might gain.
I do have political views and feelings but simply do not believe this is the place for discussions of such. I feel the same way about religion.
There are many forums out there that are for the purpose of these subjects.
To add to this, I see subjects being derailed many times from the original. Many times these derailings are because people will simply go off in some direction of thier own. Personaly I would like to see replies and comments kept to the subject matter as it seems to me that this should be what this forum is for. Turning subject matters into jokes or derailing for whatever reasons to me just detracts from the purpose.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
homesteader said:
I for one am glad to see limits set about this. I have observed many topics railroaded into something which did not in any way resemble the original subject. This for me was frustrating to say the least. I am new here and am not in any way trying to stir anyones pot so to speak. I involve myself in this forum for information on self sufficientcy, both what I may offer as well as what I might gain.
I do have political views and feelings but simply do not believe this is the place for discussions of such. I feel the same way about religion.
There are many forums out there that are for the purpose of these subjects.
To add to this, I see subjects being derailed many times from the original. Many times these derailings are because people will simply go off in some direction of thier own. Personaly I would like to see replies and comments kept to the subject matter as it seems to me that this should be what this forum is for. Turning subject matters into jokes or derailing for whatever reasons to me just detracts from the purpose.
This makes me sad. I was always among the first to welcome new members and tell them how much they will love it here. I was so proud to be a member here too.

I am sorry it had to come to this. However, I hope we can all get back to normal.

Terrie

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
Please use the report button if you see a thread being derailed.

We don't (and can't) read every post so we depend on members to help us out.

And please do remember that reports are anonymous to everyone but the staff and we do keep them confidential. :)

HiDelight

Power Conserver
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
That's too bad. I wish that those who couldn't play nice could have been locked out of the political threads.

I'm also surprised that while politics are not allowed, certain strongly held religious views are allowed to permeate threads and thread titles...
yup and the main reason I do not post here :)

I wish the ban included religion and politics and I would love to come join in if it were just about SS

good luck and I think it was a good move doing this for everyone's sanity

the idea of a board where people post wonderful life enhancing info is lost when things get so personal ..politics and religion are such sensitive issues they take the practical out of everything ...
I love the practical info and visit at least once a week to pull out what I need and run! l avoid the personal like the plague..why get upset over a post on a board? it is just too antagonistic to allow for political and religious threads ....and so many people and no faces and ability to read between the lines

take good care everyone!

and Happy Solstice the days are now growing longer!!! YAY!!!!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i understand the general need for this moratorium, but i also don't think it makes sense to ban politics completely. i agree that threads that are about politics specifically are unproductive to the goal of this forum and that hijacking other threads to talk politics is bad, but there are times when a discussion of politics is integral to talking about self sufficiency.

are we now not allowed to talk about bureaucratic red tape that keeps us from selling our homegoods or installing that extra windmill? are we not allowed to talk about government-backed subsidies for industries that make our lives more difficult?

i think a lot of people have benefited from knowing that they aren't the only ones who struggle with these issues. i've got no interest in the "my political views are better than your political views" pissing contests, but i don't want to loose the ability to gain helpful, pertinent information. it's a baby and the bathwater situation.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sylvie said:
No problem.

I do think this forum has lost its vision of the energy threads. Very few are bringing anything to solar, wind, geo, topics. This was what attracted me in the first place.
problem with energy threads are NO ONE can afford to turn over their existing home to be solar, geo, etc. Cost is a big factor. I can't. I am working on getting a solar water heater unit (to $800) cost installed. that is all I can handle right now..LOL

chatting about it yes, doing it and having people on board with that exact true energy setup at their home is severly limited.

I know what you mean...problem being how much can one talk about something they can't ANY time afford?

homesteader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
All I would wish to see is that posts remain on subject and not railroaded to other things. When I see a thread I have interest in I do not want to suddenly be subjected to what someone did that week or turning the thread into a joke or anything other than specific info regarding the original thread. The original subject.
I have begun following many threads here that ended up so far from the original that I simply gave up and am considering moving on to other forums dealing with self sufficientcy.

Latest posts