Newbie on Board

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Introducing myself.
Live in North Carolina and own a real working farm. 100 acres and we raise hogs, chickens, goats, produce and hay, cattle.

Hubby Tony works at a real job for benefits and we also sell at the farmers markets.

Had one great daughter late in life, (43) and she is the love of our lives --Nicole is 3 years old now.

Stay at home after she was born and I run the farm and make goat milk soap to sell also. We do very well at the markets with the farm.

BUT I am a simple living type person and love frugal type forums. Always looking to save money in this tough time. So jumping in and chatting and reading great tips on the board.

HI to all!
Karen

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Uploaded a pic of me, Tony and our daughter Nicole
cool
LOL

edited to say...shoot! pic too large, couldn't do it. hmm...

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello there, I am new also. I have been on the chicken forum but only a few times. I have twenty Wyandottes (for you chicken enthusiasts). Very happy sweet birds. I have less than an acre but they free range.
Have two kids, 19 and 16, boy and girl. My son is in college, and my daughter is a determined
equestrian. (And we are near broke, husband is in a union and we have patiently been awaiting work for more than 5 months, the hall says soon, our fingers are crossed and my resume is getting a brush-up).
I am a nurse and was subbing in the district but need to move on to something more permanent. The kids work during the summer so that is good money for them.
I am very frugal and have lots of tips if anyone needs any about how to cut back.
I have a very nice garden this year and love to go to U pick farms to pick fresh and then can freeze or dehydrate for the winter months.
Oh and I am in NJ.
Lin

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Lin
I am a "replanted" New Jersey gal.
moved to NC about 15 years ago living in the north--NJ, to CT, to MA, to NH, to PA and down to southern NC...LOL

horses, we can talk horses all day long!
horse crazy here. but sadly my horse Peepers died about 7 mos. ago from twisted gut. With a 3 year old now, holding off to getting 2 new horses in about 2-3 years and we can ride together.

frugal tips? you have them, then pass them on...I need all I can get..LOL

Hope all works well with hubby on the job front. times are hard and who knows where they might lead, but push comes to real shove we all can make it...just have to do without a few things, but hey, life is good so that is all that matters.

hard times shows great character in people!!!

love blrw

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks risurocket and farmer chick,
I'll go post tips in appropriate forums.
Here's my first tip. Can, dehydrate and freeze now. Esp your favorite foods like corn and tomatoes to make lots of winter meals. Today I picked blackberries straight off the vine into ziplock bags and tossed them straight into the freezer when I got home. They were washed by a little thundershower last night so that saved me a step. Sonce my husband is out of work we generally stock and store food for the lean months. It has been a lesson in life.
Next will be corn, love fresh corn in the middle of winter. Picked eggplant last week but gave half to my wonderful brother, so have to schedule a re-pick.
lin

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lin and Karen,
I am from NJ originally, also; now in NC.

Karen, do you sell at the Raleigh Farmer's Market?

Lin, which part of NJ are you in? We moved from Monmouth County last summer.

Oh, and I am also a Karin ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HI to everyone...thanks for the welcome

this is a fun forum and I am enjoying checking out all the info. any new tips to save and be frugal and green are for me..LOL

:)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lin and Karen,
I am from NJ originally, also; now in NC.

Karen, do you sell at the Raleigh Farmer's Market?

Lin, which part of NJ are you in? We moved from Monmouth County last summer.

Oh, and I am also a Karin

*********** SMALL WORLD

I used to live in Monmouth County....LOL...I lived and grew up in Freehold.

Not the Raleigh market.....we sell at the Charlotte Farmers Market. I live just below Hickory in little town of Maiden NC.....so Charlotte is about 40 min. drive. We do wonderful there and my Dad sells for us at the Gastonia Market and I sell at my local town market. We sure have a blast!!

You are NC? Where abouts? I love NC big time!!!!

that is wild, again, small world..LOL