Newbie on Board

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another newbie who found this site through BYC. What a great group of sites.

We moved to NC in 1992 with my job. Lived in Charlotte until '96 then moved to Concord. Last year we sold the old fuel guzzling house and moved from town to the middle of no-where on 7 acres. S far I only have a small garden and 15 chickens. But I have plans to change that.

My husband hunts and fishes so we have lots of protein from those sources. This is good because of health issues I really do not want to eat foods with hormones and steriods or any other not so natural additives. I am trying to cut back and only buy staples. Lately it has not worked very well because we have had lots of company.

I am still working at the same job in banking but would love to figure out a way I can stay at home.

Susan

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Cackle
nice to meet you

Concord NC is so close to me. I shop Bass Pro, lol, Tony loves that store..HAHA

this is a fun board..just starting and alot of great tips are hitting the threads.

LOL on the company changing the way you eat. I know what you mean. I have been eating whole healthy foods but Tony throws a wrench in that sometimes..HA HA

enjoy the board!

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NIce to meet you FarmerChick no we are not that far apart. I try to keep my husband out of Bass Pro. But it usually does not work. We were over at the mall last weekend but I got out pretty cheap as we had just gottn back from NY and I told him we are only buying what we came for. Talk about hard!!!

Company leaves Wednesday and then it is back to business as usual. But still here is my youngest and his fiance. I had out deer meat and said I would cook after they left and she said no Iwould like to try it. My other daughter-in-laws tease her that she is trying to earn brownie points. Hey that is fine with me. She helped me pick and cnap a half a 5 gallon bucket of green beans a neighbor I just met today invited me to pick.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
NY? Did you used to live there or have family there? I lived in NJ originally and used to go back up north alot.

HA HA--I think the fiance needs to try deer meat. After all it is delish and even though I swear some people think it is alien...lol...it is what sooo many people lived on in this country. See civilize people and they forget..HA HA

Nice to meet you neighbor !!

cackle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
NY? Did you used to live there or have family there? I lived in NJ originally and used to go back up north alot.

HA HA--I think the fiance needs to try deer meat. After all it is delish and even though I swear some people think it is alien...lol...it is what sooo many people lived on in this country. See civilize people and they forget..HA HA

Nice to meet you neighbor !!
The fiance loved the deer meat and it was just a dump everytihing in the crock pot I am late for work dish.

Funny story is I had made a crockpot of chili and taken it to work. I got sick and had to leave but asked one of the women to label my chili as venison. Because I always think that venison is too good to waste on people who think it is nasty or cruel. Well next day I asked and she said everyone loved it and no she did not tell anyone it was venison. 3 months later a girl was talking about venison and how nasty it smelled and taste and then the subject was changed to the fact she was digging the beans out of her chili. She said yeah I don't like it with beans I like what Susan brought in that day. I had kept my mouth shut for 3 month and I looked her straight in the eyes and said that chili was venison. She argued with me and when several people who knew what it was told her yeah it was I thought she would throw up the chili she had eaten months earlier.

Nice to meet all my NC neighbors. Thanks for the welcome beekissed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL--isn't it amazing how people can psych themselves out over foods. I mean really, if you ate vension, even if not knowing it, and loved it, why would you react like that? I don't understand..LOL..if I liked it I would be eating more.HA HA

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
LOL--isn't it amazing how people can psych themselves out over foods. I mean really, if you ate vension, even if not knowing it, and loved it, why would you react like that? I don't understand..LOL..if I liked it I would be eating more.HA HA
Good point, good point.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey ticks---I can only wonder why people won't continue to grow and change????
I don't know..LOL

Latest posts