NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I meant to start this thread before the first babies were born but.... That didn't happen!

I'll post the story tomorrow but we have a buckling and a doeling, the first kids born on the farm to Patty! Both are clean, dry, nursing and snuggling with mom!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
20180218_155310.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Uh it's kind of addictive, having goat babies. I feel like I'm finally officially a goat farmer! Lol it's been 3 years in the making and my brain is going 90mph like... OK FEM said this, and SBC said this.... My internet friends, lol, thank goodness for farm girls! (and boys)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do they tend to cycle together in a herd or did I just have weird luck with the twins Peppermint and Patty)?
In answer to that question - yes!

I once had 6 or 7 does deliver within a couple hours of each other during a storm that flooded half of my barn. I had stuck one of the does in the feed room because I ran out of kidding pens. That poor doe was standing in 4 inches of water and about to deliver a baby while standing up. Baby woulda landed in the water if I wouldn't have caught her! I was literally jumping from one pen to the other delivering babies! THE. MOST. STRESSFUL day I ever had in all the years I've been raising goats! But, what a fun memory, lol!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm with you on the placenta bit :sick It is wonderful when kids can get that kind of education :) Mine witnessed a pig giving birth a few years ago. Did not look terribly impressed about the whole thing, until the next morning, when one of my egg customers, a very prim and proper Scottish born university professor dropped in. DS ran out and told him "Andrew, Andrew! The piglets came out of Pandora's a-s-s!!!" The poor man stopped in his tracks and looked at me with such curious expression on his face, I didn't know if I should laugh or apologise!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They really are. I have diva breeds though too. Nigerians and alpines are not the mellow breeds (well Nigerians aren't as high strung but they have a superiority complex!)

My golden Guernsey though.... She may well be much calmer. That's what I hear anyway. Think I'm gonna fall in love!

The babies are hysterical, too cute!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh gosh I bet! I'm kind of considering separating Mimosa in case she tries to steal everyone's babies lol!

Ah sleep... If the human munchkin will let me, yes, I will sleep!