NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping! She's my only mini that's not a FF so her udder looks huge!

Bellini couldn't care less who's nursing, lol, she's doing awesome. Particularly because she's normally a spaz. She's way, way calmer since she kidded!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
New babies will be disbudded Tuesday! They're doing great! Lots of blue eyes!

Lilly was not a great milker when I bought her in milk 2 years ago (as a 2F), but her udder looks great now! Those babies are helping me out, lol. Patty too!

Next weekend I'll separate Lilly and Patty's babies at night and milk in the morning, then it's only 2 weeks til weaning. I'll start separating Mimosa and kids soon too, now that the weather is changing. Might wait on Bellini, she is not easy to handle and has never been milked. Might master the other 3 with my new machine first!

Found a registered, clean Nigie buck 10 minutes from me for cheap. Trying to get a hold of them, wouldn't be a bad addition. Would give me pure Nigie babies from Lilly, which are big sellers. And Clifford is related to half the barn, lol so he's lucky I like him!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's supposed to be raised for meat. I didn't disbud him because I wanted to force myself to eat him lol. I don't want friendly meat! Mom's hanging out with him so I'm not pulling him altogether but I'll just give him a bottle and see how that goes. Better go wash my milk pail...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning -- twin doelings this morning! :celebrate

Shocked and thrilled. Norm for four years has been trip bucks, white or tan. This year 2 black girls!! Mini Nubs. 4th gen. Next doe due within 24 hrs, will give mini nub 5th gen. Again, 3 yrs she's had trip bucks. Who knows -- maybe a new trend. I hope!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cool it first. I kind of forgot it hadn't been 2 weeks yet, lol. I didn't plan to milk her but she was looking cooperative and I had DH's help so i went for it.

We made chocolate pudding with it. Tasted like chocolate pudding. Haha!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, there ya go! Chocolate pudding can fix anything, lol!
:drool
In fact, that reminds me that I need to try to make some pudding or custard or something with all my milk and eggs.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well now that kidding season is over, I'll wrap it up here.

I had 5 does kid this year. Sold two, am drying one off so I will have two milkers this year (Sheesh!)

I had 11 kids, have sold 5. I am keeping 3 (one passed away). One doeling, one wether for meat and one wether to be Clifford's buddy until I get a second buck (then he will probably be meat too).

I've made enough money selling goats to cover what I paid for the adults I have left, or to cover hay for the year plus some infrastructure costs (I need cattle panels). The two doelings I have left will mostly cover the new doelings I'm buying.

Not a terrible first year... Next year I'll breed three unless any of the doelings are big enough to be bred as yearlings. Next year I won't have a human newborn either! It'll be a little more manageable!

Dani4Hedgies

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't image the fight that went on when the Queen went for the kids and I HAVE seen a mare try to steal another's baby (her's was a still born) and OMG that fight was terrible so we ended up skinning the baby and wrapped it around an orphaned mule baby and then she was happy).

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No fight here, the mama just kind of ran away and looked confused, lol. I don't think she really knew what just happened!

DH wants to keep the buck, we were planning on wethering one to hang out with Clifford until we get a second buck anyway. So that's the plan at the moment!