NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She made it. 6 babies disbudded, 4 babies tattooed, Peppermint and babies have gone... May have a 4Her who wants Lilly's doeling.

Lady said she thinks Bellini has another month or so before she kids. If she's right... Clifford bred her. Oops! Guess you were right FEM, she might be the kind of doe that nerds to live with a buck!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thank goodness she made it o.k. Sounds like a good, productive day by you!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's pretty brutal, that whole disbudding deal! We all smell awful and still no power for showers lol! Also I might put DD in 4H in their town, since we don't have much for goat people in my town.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope your power will get restored soon! I'm so grateful that ours stayed on, many places across the country lost theirs.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did she shave their heads? I mean there's no way to make it not stink, but the more hair there is - the worse it is!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No I think she just suffers? lol.

Power is back, Woo-hoo! So Patty's buckling is huge. He's a stocky thing! He's so going to be OK being separated overnight soon!

So, Mimosa is due March 17th I believe. And bellini was supposed to be the 23rd. Add 3-4 weeks if she was bred on her next cycle and she'll be due... Mid April. Not bad actually.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yikes....the smoke is so thick with all that hair. And you actually can burn 'em faster without having to get through it all...but the difference is really not more than a second or so. There was a time when my clippers burned out and I didn't have a new pair so I did 'em with all that hair - argh!! I started using scissors until I got a new set of clippers.

I just hate it when that smoke is coming straight up into my face so I usually try to blow it away from me. If I have a lot of burns to make I'll make myself dizzy with all that blowing, lol.

Ewwwww - it just dawned on me I'll need to do Smudge in a few days. Ugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Haha eww is right! I was wishing for polled goats today! Lilly was ANGRY we were messing with her babies. DD was horrified. She got over it by the end though. Then she forgot to give peppermint a goodbye hug so she sobbed hysterically about that. Exhausting day, and i didn't even do the disbudding!