NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No kidding. I overdid it this year lol. Next year 3 does, year after I'll have 5 but I won't have a newborn!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Babies are gone. I'm sad actually, lots of philosophical thoughts on the way home (silent car ride, DD1 read a book and DD2 napped, it's a miracle). I'm going to chat with some people about auction and meat prices. I know people might think I'm a freak but I feel better raising animals for meat than selling them to 10+ years of the unknown..the average person only keeps goats for 3 years. That is a potential 3+ homes that I can't vouch for. Or I can raise them here knowing they are taken care of and the meat will feed families. Including my own.

We'll see, anyway I'm just having a hard time with it today.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel that way a lot. When I sold show goats it wasn't such a dilemma. I pretty well knew I'd see those goats again - and maybe lose to them in the show ring, lol. Most of the time I knew the people and knew I'd see the goats again. Now it's different. I really don't mind if they're going for meat. It can be much better than the alternative.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely, glad it's not just me! DH wants to tan the hides and if we leave the horns I thought maybe they would make good knife handles. He's made them with deer antlers...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You should tan the ones you butcher! I don't have spotty goats. Just sold the only one I had!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would like to try that! Won't be butchering any spotty ones for awhile....maybe I'll get some spotty Kiko/Nubians! That would be cool! Hard to believe that in six months or so Conan be doing his duty.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And then you'll be saying, can you believe he was cute 6 months ago? Lol