NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of the turkeys promptly escaped the pen our friend had built, and flew into the woods. Oops. I figure she'll come back in the morning, she's pretty attached to the other hen.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yay on the turkeys leaving! Not so much the escapee though, hope she comes back to either or soon.

You feel free to blame everything on pregnancy brain and hormones and feeling fragile and whatever else comes to mind. It's only a few months, make the most of it ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah well at least it isn't my turkey. She's tough, she'll probably make it.

I am however, continuing to have chicken issues. Can't find two hens. I think we have a hawk problem. My chickens are going to prison, must begin planning a permanent run for them. Anyone want to give me an idea of square footage needed per bird for a covered run? What's a good height? No more free ranging birds here.

In the meantime, it just stopped raining for the first time all day so I'm going to go look for feather piles and/or chickens hiding out in weird places.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah well at least it isn't my turkey. She's tough, she'll probably make it.

I am however, continuing to have chicken issues. Can't find two hens. I think we have a hawk problem. My chickens are going to prison, must begin planning a permanent run for them. Anyone want to give me an idea of square footage needed per bird for a covered run? What's a good height? No more free ranging birds here.

In the meantime, it just stopped raining for the first time all day so I'm going to go look for feather piles and/or chickens hiding out in weird places.

For my run I used 6' high 2x4 welded wire fence tied to tee-post. Threw poultry netting over the top and stood up some 8' board to take up the slack.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Found my hens. My Dominique apparently ditched her chick to go sit on a nest somewhere. Is that weird? She's like seriously broody lol!

Still want to put them in a run. I'll have to price out the 6' fencing, I have never seen it at TSC.

My husband and daughter are watching hog slaughtering videos on YouTube. Normal...

Latest posts