NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was glad to butcher our pigs too. Had to water them 4-5 times a day, heat was an issue, but they drank, then tumped their water over. I filled their wallow so it wasn't like they didn't have water to soak in.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But so delicious! Goats are a PIA too, but so much more likeable! My husband likes pigs and he's over it. I doubt he'll want to breed them after now having pigs for a solid year and several months. Which is great for me! We'll keep supporting our local pig farmers!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have multiple people who are requesting goat meat from us... We are considering expanding for this... (like in the future, not immediately). Stew meat is $9 and up here.

I just got rid of a chicken, lol. DH's friend just looked at a NH and said he liked her, so I told him take her, anytime please take her hahaha. He'll take her soon. Or we'll drop her off.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't had any live pigs for several months!!!! Don't even miss them :lol: They were good natured, cute little ones and all that but less to feed and tend. It's nice. Still have pork in freezer. :p

Thought about turkeys, didn't buy them. May, maybe, might visit that thought in Spring...maybe not.:idunno If I had someone to butcher it would be an easier decision.

You can let someone else help out or let some of the more time & care intense animals "go". It's ok! Besides -- when the new babe arrives do you want to be doing "pig chores" with a baby hooked to you? Gotta think about those things now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Pigs can be a giant PIA, I remember mine. Water multiple times a day when it's hot and they keep tipping the dishes. And then there were the escapees. I named one "jumping pig" as he cleared anything under 4 feet high easily and on a daily basis :rolleyes: It is worth it when you fill your freezer with meat though. Nothing beats home grown pork!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will be doing pig chores with baby anyway, in the spring. Just need a break. And I'll be milking 3 goats with a baby. It'll be fine, I'll survive lol. I might get a pack and play for the barn.

We measured out where we think we want the barn, and we think we know where we want the coop also. Then went to TSC and 300 lbs of grain later ... We are home. We were planning on going to grab food after TSC, but we pulled in and DH's friend who does BBQ was there! With his BBQ trailer! We got free pulled pork sandwiches for lunch, yes! And we finalized that we will trade some pork shoulder for him smoking all our bacon and some pulled pork for us. He just got a brand new smoker. So as soon as this piggie is done... Bacon!! 3 pigs worth!! Woohoo!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aaand DH just started tearing apart our master bathroom. We are taking out the way old tub and putting in a shower (yeah we bought it 2 YEARS ago... we're slow...) and tearing apart the vanity and sink and putting in a pedestal sink with a couple of shelves. I just hope it doesn't end up half torn apart for the next 3 years...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The first thing I bought early in pregnancy was a pack and play for the barn! It was $1 at an auction, can't beat that! It wasn't pretty, but it was clean. Good enough!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! I had one but I never used it. I will this time!

Vanity and old sink are gone now, good start I guess.