NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL! Before you know it you'll wake up one morning and she'll have butchered that hog herself! She's awesome! Glad you found your hen.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
12 sq feet per chicken in the run if you can and the height comfortable enough for YOU (to walk around in there) Glad you found the hens, but sorry to hear about the turkey. Hopefully she'll show up.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turkey was in the guy's yard today, he just missed her. Maybe a good sign, he'll keep trying.

I am grumpy today. Sick of feeding pigs, sick of chickens. Just in a mood I suppose. I tried to convince DH to get rid of the chickens and get a few ducks, and keep the turkeys. He didn't like that idea. Like, at all. At least I tried. Still waiting to see when this pig is going to go. He's even sick of pigs at this point! I think I'm just frustrated because DH has been working non-stop and I am not allowed to lift anything, so our long to do list is sitting there, not getting any shorter. And I don't even like chickens. So there's that.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can complain all you want. We'll listen. Hope the pig goes soon. You're not supposed to worry about chores.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH says we *should* be able to get the pig done by next weekend. He hopes before then. She's huge! I want to do both but he wants to let the little one grow and butcher her before winter. Then we'll worry about the stewpot hens (6 of them) . I have 20 cornish crosses coming September 8th, we usually raise them fairly slowly but I'm going to put the feed to them this year and get 'em done before November if possible. Along with our extra roos from this year. Phew.

I don't have to worry about chores? I wish! Lol. I also have to worry about getting hay before too long, it's not a great haying year and I need at least 100 more bales!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
a day at a time kiddo. and a pig at a time too. it will all get done slowly but surely and won't go anywhere before you get to it. sometimes I wish it would just leave so I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. I know how you feel about the pigs. I got two gilts to grow out and butcher last fall, one ended up preggers so couldn't butcher her for all the months it took for her to deliver and raise the bacon bit. finally got her butchered but still have the bacon bit here. guess i'll feed him till this fall and then he can join his mother at freezer camp. i'm pretty sick of feeding and messing with pigs too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They're just so... Piggy. And they like to play with their water dishes and throw them in their mud pit so we have to dig them out and wash them and Ughhh...... Pigs.....