NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She looks good. Not too fatty, but definitely enough to add flavor! She was, and our keeper pig is, 1/2 Duroc, 1/4 Chester White and 1/4 GOS. If anyone finds pig breeds interesting (I happen to)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Let's see if I can do math here... Her piglets will be... 1/2 Duroc, 1/4 Berkshire, 1/8 Chester White, 1\8 GOS. Lol it's too late to trust my brain.

I don't know much about chester whites. I will be doing some research now that we want to keep her though. Her grandmother (grandpiggy?) was a purebred chester white and was the most AMAZING pig ever. SO sweet, such a good mother.

And her father, is a purebred Duroc that weighs ballpark 1000 lbs.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's friendly, thank goodness. But if he wants something, you aren't stopping him. And when a sow is in heat... You stay far away.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well today we have 5 new chicks! Bummer on the timing but we just nevemr got around to breaking her so they're here! She's still raising a chick she hatched earlier this summer- is that normal?? She still allows the older one to eat with them and hang out, just not get under her.

DH is too tired to cut up more pork (whiner! Lol) so we just ground the trimmings from last night and hopefully we'll cut more tomorrow night.

Picked a TON of beans tonight, some of the plants are done so we pulled them and fed them to the pig. She's happy!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went to the science center with DD today. They got a new critter... My nemesis- a fisher. They're so darn cute when they aren't eating all your chickens- this one ran right up and lied down like a puppy.
0824171053c-1.jpg
Just got the bajillion beans in the freezer. Waiting for DH to come home so we can get to cutting that pig. Freezer is filling up nicely! Still have meat birds arriving September 8th (ish). Eek!