NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nothing better than that! We'll have a pig and a half or so, probably 20 chickens, 3 turkeys, and hopefully a deer. It will last much longer than winter lol!

I just wish the garden was more productive so I would have a ton of veggies in there too. I have a ton of beans and plenty of zucchini, at least! Need to buy some corn to get in there too.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can grate the zucchini and freeze it in 2 cup packages. Then you can make zucchini bread even in the winter! It's great for breakfast.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been cleaning all day. And doing laundry. And I gave the dogs baths (they are SO mad at me right now!)... Boring!

I've sort of slacked off on pursuing the sheep our friends are selling. Since we decided to keep the pig, I'm not so sure I want to add on something else right now (particularly something else to breed and manage). Unless they give me a really good price (like close to free!), I will probably hold off.

Today is gorgeous, it's about 68 and breezy. Fall weather! Yes!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just saw our friend who took a hen to be buddies with his lonely hen. He said she's doing great, laying every day and follows his other hen around the yard. I do love calm chicken breeds. He said no fighting or anything.

Yeah I think the pig may have won the pig/sheep battle lol. My husband really likes pigs and he might not be interested in more hooves to trim.