NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol and meat-wise, I have goats so I probably don't need sheep huh. For now, anyway!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a baby on the way. Usually I am a great enabler, but not this time. You don't need the sheep you have enough on your plate.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you guys been talking to my husband? Lol, no worries. We aren't getting sheep!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol right?

Lost another chick today. It's been one a day lately. I told my husband at least we know how much a hawk can eat in a day:( I feel horrible but I can't do fencing right now and DH is working nonstop so short of locking them in the coop I can't do much until he has some free time. Which, considering we still haven't finished cutting up the pig, seems like it's not likely happening soon. He's busy most of the day tomorrow (doing a favor for his friend that I hate but he's also supposed to work in the afternoon), Sunday we'll be working on the pig, and back to work on Monday. Sigh. We need him to have a week off!

Oh man... I made mustard/maple pork tenderloin and scalloped potatoes for dinner. I am still impressed with myself 3 hours later. It was AMAZING:drool

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Where is the recipe?!? ;)

String up some old CD's for the hawk, it's supposed to put them off. Also put some pallets or something similar on blocks, so they are just high enough above ground for the chickens to take shelter under.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They're free ranging, so the CD thing wouldn't work so well! And there are a ton of places to take cover, I think the hawk is just faster than them. I found all the chicks hiding under something the other day, in fact! But good ideas for when we fence them in!