NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You need a LGD to watch over your chickens. Our female GP despises hawks and will leap in the air snapping at them.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
0826171755e.jpg
Our keeper piggie. Miss Hammy (short for New Hampshire- we name our pigs after states)

DH is currently working on moving her pen to fresh grass. In the meantime she's snacking on watermelon rind

Side note- no, our leaves aren't turning already. The maple tree in the background is dying a goat-related death.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol yeah we've noticed they really like the trees we want to keep- apple, maple, cherry... I couldn't pay them to strip the bark off a poplar. That maple is pretty small but would have been a good tree someday!

Got the little turkeys in a dog crate and moved in with our lonely hen. She wasn't thrilled but no outright attacking yet. Got part of the new pig fence done and we'll move her tomorrow. Going to be a busy day but I love getting things done!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What about building a small fence around the trees you don't want them to eat? Love the pig, I miss the pigs we sent to freezer camp. But I still don't want to raise pigs, I'll keep buying feeder pigs.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah... That was our intention but we never got around to putting the fences up. We won't let them kill more good trees for sure!

I didn't want to keep breeder pigs either but this pig won me over. She reminds me a lot of her grandma pig, who was an amazing creature. Also, I don't have to keep a boar so that makes life easier!