NH Homesteader's journal

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I don't blame you! You only have so much time to get everything done before the little one comes :love Is it just me or did the last few months go really, really fast? I was surprised the other day when you said you're due so soon. It probably didn't feel that fast for you! lol

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's so exciting NH! About the goat barn and the baby :) My friend and older sister are both due in the new year, around the same time as you. So I will have my fill of newborns :D

Though DH and I had a discussion on Sunday, and we seem to have decided to not wait much longer to try for another. DH pretty much just wants another one now lol. I think we'll get "serious" about it in a few months :hide

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well now that I have to stick my finger 4 times a day, yeah time is going a little slow! I'm hoping if my numbers stay good they'll lower that to 2 times a day before too long. It does sorta feel like I have been pregnant forever lol. But in other ways it's gone fast. Kind of weird.

@treerooted good luck! Those newborns will either make you want another one NOW or make you go.... Oh yeah... I'm all set, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All done! 17 meat birds in the fridge chilling, the guy (who did show up on time) already left with his turkeys. Processing trailer cleaned up and pork chops about to come out of the oven for dinner. Birds look good, the ones I've weighed were 4.5-5.5 lbs, which is the size I aim for, so I'm happy!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well he needed his turkeys done, so of course he came through. Happy we won't have to butcher birds again until next fall! Tomorrow I have an appointment and DH is going to work on the barn, then early Thanksgiving dinner at my parent's house. Thursday I want to butcher the pig, if I can convince him... Then we literally have to finish the barn, move the fence to meet the barn door, fence in the free ranging chickens and winterize the turkey coop. And we will be ready (farm wise) for winter. List is getting shorter!!

I have one inside project I would like to get done before baby arrives, I would like to tear up the bedroom carpet and put in the flooring we have. Carpet is so gross.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! It seems like only a couple days ago that you had an extra pig, no barn and a bunch of nasty chickens! Now - you've got a freezer full of pork, a bunch of delicious dead chickens cooling in the fridge and most of a barn built! That is really incredible! Ya'll should take a break tomorrow, have dinner with the fam - ya'll deserve a break before you butcher another pig! At the rate ya'll are going you'll have the new floor down by the weekend!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
True, things are getting done pretty quickly around here! Luckily DH has been able to have some down time from work (that'll be over soon!) to get things done.

He got the windows in the barn today, and is working on the roof. Well getting ready for the roof. He doesn't want to butcher tomorrow because he has barn brain. Don't understand why we can't do both but I haven't pushed the issue yet.

Had Thanksgiving at my parents' today. My parents were irritable with each other all day, DD was grumpy and DH and my mom are polar opposites when it comes to dealing with grumpy kids so it kind of sucked. My mom babies DD and DH is a disciplinarian. I'm in the middle like hey jerks- you're both being dumb. Lol. Oh well. Home now, critters fed, DD took a bath and it's couch time. I'm tired!

Latest posts