NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She is such a snot I kind of don't feel bad for her! Lol! I just hope they let her in the barn.

We've been obsessing all evening about chevre, goat milk mozzarella, fudge, cheddar, yogurt... Heck just milk for our coffee... I want to make soap gift baskets for everyone for Christmas next year... Oh come on, spring!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Soap gift baskets! Sounds cool. I'm going to let you do the soap making and then you can tell me how to do it. It's on my 'someday' list..

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like a dog i'd want. A little too intense. Banned in a lot of countries, gotta be a reason for that. Sounds like an insurance liability nightmare.

My FedEx, UPS and USPS delivery guys just put the package right inside the gate. They all know we have Great Pyrenees and Trip jumps fences so he can meet them at the gate. They just have to be faster than him. LOL LOL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah "pitbulls" are banned a lot of places too. I don't judge my dogs by what politicians have to say about them. Insurance companies don't like pitbulls, or chows (my chow mix is not a chow mix on paper, made sure of that). They wouldn't like Clara either, if they knew what the heck an alano was.

Doesn't matter, they're $2,500+ dogs. Won't be getting one of those anytime soon.

Headed to the seacoast in the morning. DD has never seen the ocean, and my crazy parents don't think November is cold enough without going to stand on the beach. Why not right? It's going to be a long drive and I can already feel my back aching from it. Oy.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh I've fallen in love- @sumi have you been around any Boerboel dogs?? I am impressed. Had never seen one until my mom and DD were watching a dog show and my mom had to stop it and show it to me (she knows my taste in dogs!) and that is one amazing breed that my FedEx guy would run away from. And rightfully so! They're intense!
I knew a lot of people who had them in S.A. They are lovely animals! Here's some more info on them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boerboel

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are bad examples of every breed out there - but it sounds like there's a lot to like!

The protective character of the Boerboel is still evident and is much sought after, as is the calm, stable, and confident composure of the breed. The dogs are obedient and intelligent and have strong territorial instincts. The Boerboel remains the guarding breed of choice amongst current day farmers and is very popular for the same reason in urban communities.

The Boerboel is a very powerful breed of dog. Due to its use as a farm dog which brought it into conflict with large African predators such as lions, the Boerboel has been artificially selected for ability to protect themselves and others.

I'm like you NH - due to that price I'll never own one - but I wouldn't be afraid to try.

Worst/most dangerous dog I ever owned was a 20 lb terrier mix. We finally had to put him down because he was an escape artist and would bite anybody who came near our property. Heck, he didn't stop with people who came near - he went looking for targets. In fact, the caretaker for mom and dad was the first person he bit. Lucky she had ankle weights on at the time and that's what his teeth came in contact with.

Hope your back holds up for the trip! Guess it's too cold for DD to dip her toes in the water, huh?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I would keep a Boerboel. They are nice dogs and I've known a few of them in S.A. They are very popular with the farmers there! Two breeds I would not keep even if I get given one are Cocker Spaniel and Rottweiler. I had bad experiences with both breeds on several occasions and won't trust them ever.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cocker Spaniels here are mostly way too in-bred without care towards personality. Decades ago, when I was a child, we had a cocker and she was a wonderful dog. Fast forward about 30 years and I wanted another one...Stupidest most unreliable, spastic dog I ever owned. Gave him right back to the breeders.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh we had a cocker spaniel briefly when I was a kid and she was a disaster, too! I love rotties though, but I've met some really lovely ones.

So at the ocean today, there were people everywhere with dogs running around, off leash, with them hardly paying attention to them. One ran up to my parents' dog (who was on a leash), owners didn't even look over. I was going off on a tangent lol. This is why dogs bite, and fight, and why breeds get a bad reputation. You put a boerboel or a pyrenees even, in that situation that is entirely against its territorial, protective nature and yeah, dummies, it might be aggressive! My dogs were happily at home patrolling the property lol! My chow mix could never handle that, so I respect that and keep him out of those situations!

Btw brrrrrr it's really cold at the ocean in November lol. There were crazy people surfing too. It was maybe 38 and the wind was whipping. But DD liked it at least!