NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How long ago was she diagnosed? How far along is she? I am diet controlled (type A1 I think the doc said), so I don't have to take insulin. Usually they give you time to change diet and monitor levels before they jump to insulin, at least at my hospital.

Since I'm diet controlled, my appointment schedule doesn't change. If I were to need medication to control my sugars, they do 2x/week appointments and weekly ultrasounds to monitor baby's growth. It also puts you at higher risk for pre-eclampsia. I can imagine she's really worried! Is this her first?

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, it's her third! She's 38, so she's higher risk for everything. I thought she only found out several days ago, but maybe that's not the case. Or maybe they just determined she needed insulin right away. I'll try to go visit next week and get more info, thanks for the heads up about different types, I'll look that up. She's stressed about lots of things right now, so I imagine this news felt a little panic-inducing. :(

And in a somewhat related vein, just found out my friend is pregnant with twins.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DH met an alpine goat farmer today, talked to her about her goats and she asked a lot about mine. She thought the minis were intriguing... Seems the less feed part of the equation is rather tempting! So, he found me a friend lol! So he wants to bring me down to meet her sometime to talk goat. One of my favorite subjects, of course! She also has sheep. Another fun subject!

I had some bad family interactions (DH's family) this evening that put me in a rather unpleasant mood, so finding a friend to talk goats with would be a nice distraction!
That sounds like a lot of fun and a good mood lifter for you :hugs

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I imagine it is stressful for her! GD is not fun or a "good" thing to have, but all things considered there are much worse things. I think most issues come from people who either don't take the diet seriously, or have underlying diabetes that was never detected. Hopefully she'll be able to manage it easily!

Pregnant with twins? Eek! Now that's scary! Lol

And yes, a distraction would be good! I don't have a local goat "mentor" or know anyone else locally who is breeding goats. The woman I got most of my herd from helps when and if she can, but she doesn't have time to help me too much. So finding a goat buddy would be nice for me!

The thermostat in our heating system quit around 3 this morning. I woke up at 4:30 freezing! It was around 20 last night and we have horribly poor insulation in our house. Luckily, DH's friend had a spare one and DH can fix anything, so it's all fixed now! And he's on to the barn!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It'd be great for you to have a goat buddy to chat with. I was in the same boat when I started keeping chickens and everyone went "You got what?!? Chickens? :lol:) That was S.A. for you though… It was great to meet people who kept and bred chickens and getting to chat with them.

Thank goodness you got a spare thermostat and a handy DH!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes! Thank goodness for DH, or I wouldn't have a goat barn, or heat, or a freezer full of meat! I would be half of a homesteader without him, or a sad vegetarian homesteader who spent too much money paying someone to build a goat barn lol! I couldn't do most of what I do without him. Being able to homeschool our kids is a huge blessing I am thankful for every day too. My mom works at a "good" public school nearby and every day she tells me stories that make me sooooo happy I'm in charge of my kids' education!

My goat door is partially done, he's working on the top part now. Trying to upload a picture but it isn't working...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our son in law is a 5th grade English teacher in one of the best school districts around. People move here so their kids can go to these schools. Property is higher in this school district.

Glad the barn is coming along for you!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes! Thank goodness for DH, or I wouldn't have a goat barn, or heat, or a freezer full of meat! I would be half of a homesteader without him, or a sad vegetarian homesteader who spent too much money paying someone to build a goat barn lol! I couldn't do most of what I do without him. Being able to homeschool our kids is a huge blessing I am thankful for every day too.

That is a wonderful testimonial to your DH....of course...I've been a fan for awhile now!

It must be really rewarding to be able to school your own children.

Hope the barn door got finished.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I worked at one of the best schools in the state, saw lots of reasons I don't want my daughter there.

Didn't finish, ran out of daylight! More barn work tomorrow!

Tomorrow is the last day of deer season. DH has had zero time to go out, but he and DD will go for a walk tomorrow just in case. I wanted some venison but the barn is top priority this year. And with more than a freezer full of pork and poultry (and more to come soon!), we aren't exactly going to starve without a deer!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
But some deer would be nice if you can get one!

I'd love to see that finished barn when he's done. He did it really quick once he got going.