NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that's cool. We have to do a pig ASAP but she's too big for the homemade fridge/meat cooler DH fashioned so I guess we wait for the right weather. She's got to be at least 300-350 lb on the hoof. I also have no freezer space.... Lol not a good time but I don't want to feed her all winter!

I have to admit- I'm kind of getting sick of pork. I wish I had some goat or lamb in the freezer!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Clara is feeling much better. Except when she's stupid and re-injures herself. I'm happy she feels better and all but she's back to driving me CRAZY!

No barn building today, DH has been working all day. I suppose he could come home and work on it, he's rather eager to finish. He's working on building the goat door, which has a top and bottom that open separately, at my request. Then he has to finish one sidewall and start building the "stalls", or the big loafing area and one stall. Then plunk in a front door, backfill so there isn't a huge gap between the ground and building, and we have a barn. He might start the loft but it doesn't need to be done since we don't have square bales to put up there anyway. I would rather get the goats in and get the pig in the freezer before we worry about lofts!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Daytime temps are mostly high 30's to low 40's, nighttime high teens to low 20's. For the most part anyway. DH will be making snow part time soon, it'll get cold fast. I figure another week or two and it will be winter!

It's slightly too warm during the day and too cold at night for hanging the pig outside... But he wants that done within the week (me too, I don't want to buy more grain!) so we'll see what he figures out. He's awful crafty! And we have a friend who needs to butcher a pig before winter so maybe we'll get together for that.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am really excited for you getting your barn built. I know what it means to you and it will be wonderful to get your goats in it. The temps you have now, for us, is DEEP WINTER! :lol:

Getting the pig butchered will be something else that puts you at ease. Getting ready for winter to set in is so different from the measly preparations we do. I have a Styrofoam cover for the water faucets and on the coldest nights, I cut off the water valves. That's about it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ha! If only... Winter prep is a lot here.

DH met an alpine goat farmer today, talked to her about her goats and she asked a lot about mine. She thought the minis were intriguing... Seems the less feed part of the equation is rather tempting! So, he found me a friend lol! So he wants to bring me down to meet her sometime to talk goat. One of my favorite subjects, of course! She also has sheep. Another fun subject!

I had some bad family interactions (DH's family) this evening that put me in a rather unpleasant mood, so finding a friend to talk goats with would be a nice distraction!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had some bad family interactions (DH's family) this evening that put me in a rather unpleasant mood, so finding a friend to talk goats with would be a nice distraction!
What do they say? You can pick your friends - but not your family. Hope you get a chance to meet the Alpine lady!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just found out my sister has gestational diabetes, she didn't tell me but my mom did. Guess she was pretty devastated by the news, was told she'd have to take insulin. Anything I can do for her? Anything I shouldn't do?