NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is surprising to me too about not being able to drive trucks... I could not live without my truck!

Hope you get to go shopping soon! It must be really important to keep stocked up in your kind of weather, huh?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader, No, you need a VAT number for at least 6 months first :rolleyes: Vehicle insurance and related issues in this country is a royal PITA. I intend to buy a truck at some stage anyway, so I'll just go register and get the number and give them some reason why I need a "commercial" vehicle.

I'm hoping my car will pass her inspection, but I have a feeling she is not going to. They are soooooo fussy, they'll fail you for anything, just so you can come back and pay again. But once she's done, she'll be good for a year :)

You reminded me, I need to go do some grocery shopping as well. I have a supermarket practically across the street from my house, but the Aldi and Lidl stores are so much cheaper, I'd rather wait a day or 3 and go there.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I don't like driving in the snow so I try to stay stocked up since DH works so much!

Butcher said anytime this week he can take her, so as soon as DH is off work and it's warm enough to skin her, we'll get that done. Unfortunately the rain gave them plenty of water for snowmaking so he might have a long week ahead.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you have any other help around? I know you're feeling well, but newborn care can be so exhausting...especially with other young kids in the mix.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes we are doing the killing and skinning. We don't have a livestock trailer so we'll bring her that way, save some money too. He can hang her and cut her up.

My mom lives next door. I have her help with big DD but I kind of want to baby hoard so I don't ask for baby help lol! And DH has been coming home to do animal chores and eat dinner with us on days he has to work. I just don't like the overnights, I don't like being the only adult in the house when I wake up at 3:30 in the morning with baby. Oh well, winter won't last forever, and he'll be back to normal work and normal hours!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes we are doing the killing and skinning. We don't have a livestock trailer so we'll bring her that way, save some money too. He can hang her and cut her up.
Makes sense! And, yay for saving money.

I wouldn't so much like my Dh being gone if I was doing the new human thing either. I liked being able to roll over and say "it's your turn." Even though since I breast fed my babies it was ALWAYS my turn! (but at least he could get up and do diaper duty and deliver the baby to me to feed)

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah, I forgot your mom was so close. That's good, it's just nice to have someone close by. I was all by myself during the day once DH went back to work, and I found it pretty difficult as I never had more then 2 hour blocks of sleep. I'm very excited to have my parents close by next year.
Winter wont last forever? Are you sure? Why does it always feel like it'll never end....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well my mom works during the week so it's really only weekends I have help. Although DH has random days off too. Big DD is pretty ADHD so... It's interesting lol! This week we have somewhere to be nearly every day so that gets us out of the house at least!

The dogs are driving me nuts. Too much energy, too much change, they're barking at everything.... Oy!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh and yeah... Winter is WAY too long. Especially the way this one has been so far!

Latest posts