NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just have to grind tomorrow and it'll all be in the freezer. Some will stay ground pork, the rest will be sausage. And we saved a bunch of money doing it ourselves. Which is good with the vehicle issues we're having!

DD likes to be the package labeler. Which is fun.... Because she's a pretty good speller but a very phonetic speller so it's fun to see what she comes up with. She has to have a job though. And boy are we in trouble if we forget and do it without her. Lol!

DH has to work tomorrow night through... Probably Saturday morning? I am about done with this.... Should only be about 2 more weeks, and the forecast looks too warm for a lot of that time so.... This could be nearly the end of it. Or so I hope anyway!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
115 lbs of pork... So she was maybe 225-250? Hard to tell, all the estimates are for bone in and we did all boneless cuts. Either way, sausage needs a second grind after it seasons and we'll be done. Freezer is ridiculously full!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
115 lbs of boneless pork is awesome! We had the last package of our ground pork last night. Guess it's time to get another one all packaged up for the freezer. BUT, before I can do that I've gotta get lights back on the trailer...grrrr! Stoopid pigs, or dogs, or gremlins ate the wiring.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Probably gremlins, lol! We have a huge amount of pork that needs to be smoked. Hoping DH can get to that before long. We have 4 pig's worth of bacon, 2 whole shoulders to make into pulled pork, and about 6 hocks I want to smoke. Sheesh! Oh and a whole ham. Lol... We'd better get smoking! Might bring the ham to someone to have it done up in ham steaks... Not sure yet.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bacon isn't safe in our house. :drool And you have 4 pigs worth of bacon? Are you ever going to have a bacon feast when they get smoked!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is at work. I feel whiny. So over it.

I can eat potatoes again so I am eager to make corn chowder. It's one of my favorites. Need to smoke the bacon! It's also almost maple syrup season so we are going to need that bacon to go with our pancakes and fresh syrup!! Oh and I have blueberries from last summer. Mmmm. Yes, a bacon feast!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH is at work. I feel whiny. So over it.

I can eat potatoes again so I am eager to make corn chowder. It's one of my favorites. Need to smoke the bacon! It's also almost maple syrup season so we are going to need that bacon to go with our pancakes and fresh syrup!! Oh and I have blueberries from last summer. Mmmm. Yes, a bacon feast!

When do you usually tap your trees?