NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's why I hate those fences. Glad they all were OK. Our neighbors know our dogs will fight on our property, so they keep their dogs home. Or, they're trailing right behind them if they sneak over the stone wall! This dog is from down the road somewhere. DH told the police if it goes after our livestock it's going to be buried here. They said yep, well you have that right. But they're looking for it to give their owner a ticket, good. Make em pay, we have leash laws here!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We also got animal control to set a trap yesterday on another neighbor's place, for the stray mamma dog. Hope she is in it this morning.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope so! We don't have animal control, the police have to do it. One of my dogs was a rescue from somewhere in the south- his mom was dumped when she was pregnant. So kind of like your stray! He's a very happy northern dog, he lucked out. He hates the heat!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - those buried fences may work sometimes, for some dogs, for some amount of time - but I've heard too many stories of dogs that breach them - sometimes never to be seen alive again. In fact, I think someone on here or BYH had that problem...

Is Piggy done?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope but he's working on it! Had to skip DD's class today, DH went down to gas up the car for me and took multiple attempts to get back up the hill. Icy!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'd be glad when winter is over and with it the icy roads. We had a few crashes in the region last week during the snowy cold snap, including the friend of mine that crashed about 3 weeks ago's parents. They are o.k. thankfully, but the car is a write off.

Have you weighed the pig to see how much meat you're getting? And how is the little one doing? I think of you every time I see a mom or dad with a new baby out and about here.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There were 89 crashes in Manchester NH (our biggest city, which is not very big!) overnight. Never mind the rest of the state.

We have no way to weigh pigs hanging, I always just weigh the packages as we stack them in the freezer and calculate backwards. Of course I haven't had the chance to do that as I've only helped with about half of the wrapping. I'll go through and do it once the meat is all in there though.

Baby is good. Having a growth spurt, she ate all day yesterday and has been sleeping a ton last night and today. We both got a really good amount of sleep last night. Love that!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No fun to be out in that ice - and if not necessary it's certainly better to stay home!

So glad baby is doing well! Eating and sleeping and growing are all good things, lol. Glad you're getting some sleep too!