NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We just candled eggs, we have no idea what we're doing lol. But if we did it right, we are going to have a terrible hatch. If we are wrong, we will have a huge hatch lol. I vote for terrible, I have enough problems!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There was baby turkeys at Atwoods when we went, sure was tempted. They were cute, but I just don't have a place to put them. I do want to raise my own Thanksgiving turkey someday.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's funny, lol! If they're due to hatch next weekend they're probably pretty dark inside. You might not be able to see light except for the big end of the egg where the air pocket is. If they're not developing very well they'll be pretty see through - like a regular egg.

Soooo, what did yours look like?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But, whatever you do - don't give up on 'em too soon. I just found a baby quail in the incubator....I thought they were done yesterday, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule you could do broad breasted in your meat bird coop. They're kinda lazy like cx, especially the bb whites.

About 5 were mostly dark. The rest were dark at the end and a few all light. We lost our power once, waited a while after Brewster made his exit to collect, and have had inconsistent humidity levels. I don't expect much!
Turkeys are up next, those we'll be better about.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ha, yeah... That's my guess too! DH is bummed though, so I feel bad about that.

Maybe I'll make some chevre tomorrow. Yep, that sounds good!