NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool! I guess I'd better start seeds this weekend....

I have chicks due next weekend but to be honest neither of us has been very good about checking the humidity, plus they were unplugged for part of the power outage. Guess we should candle them.

Need to work on goat fencing this weekend too before we have an escape buck, lol.

Nice weather coming this weekend into next week. It's going to be spring!! (it just stopped snowing this morning too ugh)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope you get just as many baby chicks as you want. (and hopefully not 40, lol)

I woke up to baby quail in the incubator. I'm not getting very good hatches though. Only 5 chicks out of probably 25 eggs. I'm not terribly surprised because my male to female ratio is pretty low. I have two pens with one male per 6 females. Best ratio is about 1 male to 3 or 4 females. I guess I'll change that up some before I try to hatch again.

Hope your good weather holds for ya! We're supposed to get some significant rain/thunderstorms Saturday...ugh. We do need a little rain - can't believe I'm saying that....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't believe it either! My driveway is still barely passable. It's deep mud. Usually we dry out after a few weeks but not this year!

I want zero baby chicks, lol. That's bad I know... I'll settle for like less than 10. I want turkeys. I don't want chickens! Turkeys go in next. Those I'll have to be more on top of, they're hard to hatch.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have 5 dozen eggs in the fridge. How did that even happen? My mom asked for a dozen. She's getting two! I only have 9 hens, and one of them I haven't gotten her eggs because I'm scared of the roo she lives with... Lol

Gonna make some quiche tomorrow I think!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was going to pull Patty's buckling and dry her off, but she's really starting to gain weight, so I'm going to hold off a bit. She looks much better!

Warm weather coming in! 50's today, mid 60's by Tuesday!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lovely day! I tore down an old chicken fence and DD1 and I planted peas, DH worked on Clifford's fence. DD2 napped in her stroller in the shade. It's spring!!

We had goat milk smoothies for snack and have quiche with goat milk and our eggs in the oven.

Lui's limping. Dumb Clara probably nailed him, she seems to think everyone is as tough as her and plays too rough.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sounds like a lovely day! And about time too, that spring came for you guys.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WooHoo!! Sounds like a near perfect day to me! Yay for planting peas. I wonder if I could get away with planting more before it gets too hot? Prolly not. :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know, and tomorrow is going to be even warmer! But tomorrow - tomorrow is spring barn cleaning day and it's going to be painful. Lol