NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow - that sounds so good! I need to make some more yogurt - and I've got some blueberries in the freezer. I've never made granola. Maybe I need to give it a try...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I priced out oats and barley to make my own goat feed. Uh, nope. Oats are alright. Barley is $39/40lbs! Organic is $79.99/40 lbs!!! I about fell over! And I told her yep, I'll take the dairy goat pellets lol. The owner of the feed store walked by and I almost cornered him, lol. Just because I must know why this stuff is gold!

Anyway, I am going to keep one of Mimosa's doelings. If she doesn't impress me I can always sell her next year. Honestly I like her sire and I want to see how she turns out. She'll be 75% Nigerian, 25% alpine. Also, she's hilarious. She messes with the dogs (and creeps Clara out sneaking up behind her, lol!) and is a wild one that isn't afraid of anything! It'll also mean I have a baby from each mama and I can cheat and skip milking, lol.

I forgot to buy seed starting stuff yesterday, I need to get some going! I would prefer to just buy started plants this year but DD enjoys it, and DH wants to start some. Tomatoes, squash and watermelon. The way this year is going, there's very little chance I'll get any watermelons. They're a stretch this far north anyway.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They must have to ship barley a long, long way to get to you...that's crazy prices! Good plan to keep one of Mimosa's doelings. I like being able to milk when I want to and let the babies take care of it if I don't. Hope you get some watermelon! Do you grow a bush variety or a smaller type melon?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never grown it before. It was developed by a northerner for our short season! Forget the name though.

I am trying to find farmers who may have whole grains for cheaper... I found one to get oats from, $10/80lbs I think it was. Trying to find barley now!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
When you get out that watermelon packet, I would like to know the variety too. We harvest watermelons in September. :rolleyes:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a good price for oats! I pay more than that for 50 lbs. Hope you can get a good lead on barley too.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm growing watermelons this year too. I really hope they'll do o.k. for DS. He loves them more than I do and I love them plenty. But I bought the seeds with him in mind and had him "tell me" where to sow them etc. ;)