NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We used to do huge batches. This year we're doing 20. My parents want 6 and the rest are ours. I'm eating all the big stuff out of the freezer to make room, lol.

Hoping to cull the 5 stew hens next weekend. They're beating up my keeper hens and I'm over it! Gotta make some chicken soup!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Friend with the sheep asked DH if he would help butcher in trade for meat. Well I've been meaning to try some lamb so that'll work!

There's an alpaca farm near us that sells meat and I am so going to make a trip out there to try it! It's really good for you, amazingly.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Betcha love lamb! I LOVE lamb (don't know why I'm not raising any) but nope...not gonna think about it! Sounds like a good trade!

Alpaca? Let us know how it tastes!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am definitely curious. It is darn expensive though, $10-13/lb. I want to figure out if I prefer goat or lamb before I decide if sheep are worth it to raise. If I like goat just as well, I won't bother. DD has her little heart set on alpacas but I wouldn't breed them, just get 2 friendly ones for fiber.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good idea to try lamb before buying any. Alpaca huh? We want a taste report!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never ate alpaca. We will need a report when you do.

Tried gator once -- just like fish! UGH. Have had turtle & conch. Steamed clams are good & clam chowder (I make killer red). Good with shrimp, lobster, crab, just not fish. Some tuna -- only albacore, water packed, los of onion :cool:
Octopus has little taste. Tried it, that was it...not me.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That sounds like a good deal on the lamb :thumbsup And yes, please report back on the alpaca! I've eaten so many different animals, but that's one I haven't tried yet.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went grocery shopping, spent a bajillion dollars stocking up so I don't have to go again for a while. As I'm shopping, my phone rings. My meat birds are in. Seriously, couldn't call at 8 am? Had to wait til almost 11? Grocery store is 25 miles from my house in one direction, feed store/meat birds are 20 miles in the other direction. Came home, fed DD, getting back in the car for meat birds and feed store run. Sigh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Super annoying because I have a doctor's appointment in the morning like right next to the feed store and they were due to come tomorrow! Oh well, they're settled and they look really lively. And now it's almost time to cook dinner and feed the rest of the animal gang!