NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was delicious! I'm a wreck about them. I'm not normally anxious about livestock (other than birthing) but I'm just so worried about them. I also have had a generally higher state of anxiety since the baby was hospitalized this winter. Is it bad that part of me wants to sell everyone (goats, not other livestock) but them and chill the heck out for the next year? Oy.

My parents are closing on their house next week. They're having a double wide put in on their land a few miles away. Downsizing. Though their piece of land over there (which my stepdad has had forever) is 120 acres. They want us to put in a place over there but I don't have a job and DH doesn't have much credit so getting a new mortgage isn't gonna happen! We only have 4 years left on ours though, crazy!

We have much thinking and planning to do.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, the GG's still have worms
Grrrrrrr - what did the vet suggest the first time? And, is it still barberpole? That just stinks! Did the breeder not check them before they sent them home with you? Good that you're re-checking. I've find that with Ivermectin, at least in my area, it sure seems to help to re-dose ten days later and again ten days later and again 10 days later - and it's a bit of a PIA. I think we've got a little resistance problem here....sigh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes still barberpole. First time they gave Panacur I think it's called? My goat notebook is in the other room and I'm too lazy to go get it haha. They said nothing about giving it again in 10 days, but I have Ivermectin at the house so I'm going to do it anyway because I've apparently read more on the internet than the vets did in vet school. Lol, but anyway I'm not very happy. I think the breeder checked FAMACHA and that's.it. I've not once had a baby with a parasite issue that I bought, my babies born here have been clear, so I was naive and didn't think about it as much as I should have. I'm not upset with her necessarily, but I won't buy goats from her again!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Were you instructed to give it three days in a row? Just curious because here we give it at three times the dosage on the pkg and for 3 days in a row. It's a really gentle wormer - but...I think barberpole might need a bigger gun. :hu

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The panacur? Yes, 3 days in a row. Not sure of dosing, I bought it from them so no package to go by.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What I know about deworming is it's recommended to redo it after 10 days so any eggs that hatched after the first dose's worms get taken care of then. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this crud now :hugs

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep that's one of the few things I know! So I'll re-dose them myself!

Goats are so difficult.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That they can be, but they're so awesome when they're not being difficult? We forgive :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh and these GG's are loves. They just want to be pet, climb on you and cuddle. Oh and chew on your clothes... Working on discouraging that habit!! They're more worth it than any other goat I own!

Clifford is disgusting. He's in full on rut. It's too early dude!! I wanted to trim his hooves before he was covered in pee. DH is gonna love this.... :sick

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
New little nameless piggie
20180711_092949-1.jpg

And Gidget
20180711_092005.jpg