NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ha! They hate me. They're really unpleasant goats, those two. Patty is friendly, she'll follow us around and loves our attention. The GG's are sweet also, but Mimosa and Bellini are jerks. They are the reason people don't like dam raised goats. They're flighty, stubborn, pushy, hate attention, hate my dogs and they think they run the farm. But they're what I have for milk so there we go, lol. They are good moms, I'll give them that. And Mimosa stands well for milking now, but Bellini still does not.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bellini is just a … um.... rhymes with witch, lol! I don't enjoy chasing a goat to milk it either. They should recognize and appreciate the service that we do for them, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We call them "the witches" except not with the "w", lol. Did I mention Bellini bit the baby? And she tried to go after the GG's when they got out one day... Yeah her days are numbered, and she's only still here because I have too much invested to not have milk this year.

My current plan is to breed either her or her sister in September, and sell or butcher the other one (depends on the market). I'll let Patty dry off and gain weight and breed her in February for summer babies if all goes well. That way I can milk her come summer when the other one is slowing down a little. Then I'll get rid of whichever of the witches I kept and give Patty a year off (or if she struggles with weight next year also, just keep her as a pet), and I'll have the GG's bred for the following year. Then I'll just have the two of them to breed and milk until either I sell enough products I need another goat or they retire in another 6-8 years, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I truly admire you for all the effort you put into milking. I love fresh milk, but just can't make myself commit to milking.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They should recognize and appreciate the service that we do for them, lol!

What they recognize & appreciate is the FEED on the stand!:D Since you didn't milk the last night, they missed their FEED ON THE STAND! Not you, not the milking...food.

Milking 101...section 3. :idunno

Separating 4 buck kids tomorrow. Hope it goes well. :caf

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feed them in the evenings when I don't milk, so they didn't miss much there! But I have no thoughts that they actually like or appreciate me!

The GG's got their first hoof trimmings yesterday, finally. And their scrapies tags... "fell out"... Funny how that works lol. And CDT shots. They were very well behaved, their first trip to the milk stand! I just love them. Bringing in fecals Monday so hoping for the best. One of them has clumpy poo but they got some still green hay this week and everyone clumped up so hoping it's just that!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So strange how those tags fell out - hopefully the girls appreciate that, lol! Those earrings just weren't their style!
Hope the fecals are good!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of them almost got ripped out the other day. They're not leaving my farm so no need for them to have tags!

Moving the pigs today, that'll be interesting... Easy to move them as a group but we have to split them up and move them different directions.... Stanley won't care, but we'll see if the girls do!

Bay I wish we lived near each other because I can't stand raising chickens and I'd gladly trade milk for eggs! Lol darn husband won't give 'em up though.