NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, we won't be that overwhelmed with pigs. We will only breed once a year, let the sows wean (unless they lose condition nursing, then we'll do it) and process roasters, sell some as feeders, and raise the rest to butcher weight. Average is about 7 for AGH litters, I would love smaller litters myself. Stanley respects fences and is gentle with babies (he babysits, so we've been told). So barrows growing out can live with him. Oh, and the guy we got them from will help us sell anything that is worth registering for a good price.

DH says the roo goes this weekend. He's starting to be super rough on the hens and we have ZERO tolerance for that. I know that's his job but they're bald in spots and I've had gentle roos, so now I tolerate nothing less!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am having issues with my phone, it's not liking getting on here lately. Waiting for the internet folks to show up, we're finally getting real internet! They said it'll be a few weeks. Ugh.

Today's DH's and my 8th anniversary. We never celebrate really. Maybe for our 10th lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy Anniversary! For our 19th anniversary, we packed up the U-Haul and moved! LOL For our 20th, I found a craigslist ad and we got a 3 stack chick brooder for $100!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

My tomatoes are ripening, Yay! And I had thrown a bunch of seeds in a manure pile and they went nuts. Tons of pie pumpkins, most are nearly ripe! It's like a jungle!

Charlotte is starting to look pregnant. Hope to have piglets soon. Hmm what else... The GG's are big. When the vet weighed Lucy she was 37.5 lbs. She's 60 lbs now! That's over 10lbs/month gain. And Gidget is 63lbs. I'm thrilled!

We're thinking winter prep already.... Oy....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Winter already? I'll think about that maybe in...….February?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Uggh, winter prep here too! Last year I had a big list and this year... I just can't hardly think of anything. Except pruning bushes back so they don't touch the house to hopefully reduce mice in the house

Latest posts