NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I forgot about soremouth, ugh. I possibly could have them tested, I haven't spoken to the people yet, just our mutual friend. She's going down to get their Pyrs so she would grab the sheep for me while she's there. I know it won't be in the next several weeks because her husband's headed out of town. I'll chat with her Monday :) she is going to be learning how to shear old school style, and will do our sheep for us because she doesn't want to practice on hers (since her livelihood depends on her sheep). Eventually DD might learn but she has to get big enough to flop a sheep first lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is soremouth a big issue with sheep? I think goats can get it, but I'm not sure I've ever seen any around here...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What @baymule said! It's a BIG deal to me. Fortunately I've never had a run in with it! The famr my sheep are from have had foot rot problems for years thanks to a shearer bringing it in. :eek: They have it pretty much handled now, but dip every lamb/sheep that leaves the farm in formaldehyde to be sure they don't pass it on. No problems for me. That farm is also doing a major cull/downsize this year to try to finally eradicate it.

Be careful who shears, make sure you see them clean their equipment. And maybe skip having the shearer do the hoof trimming...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know someone who had soremouth in their goat herd and said it was no big deal. Uh.... Big deal! Especially in dairy goats.

We do our own hoof trimming, fortunately. The woman we would have shear is awesome and I wouldn't worry about, I know her sheep and they're super healthy. Except her ram is useless, he bred all her ewes and no babies. She is not happy.

Anyway, I'm torn on whether to get the sheep or go with a different breed. I have always wanted Icelandics. I know their fiber is rough, but they have amazing meat and I can milk them. And I like felting, so their fiber would work for me. I might skip the fancy soft wool sheep and wait to get some tough, hardy Icelandics. Hmm....

In other news, we've been wondering what's up with Charlotte. She's supposed to be pregnant but she barely looks it. The guy we got them from texted DH last night about their paperwork and said she did the same with her first litter. So, she should farrow soon.... We hope. She hasn't been in heat since we got her, so I would think by early September we'll have piglets.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
CL has some AGHs kinda near me...piglets and also a breeding pair, where sow is pregnant. Good price, so I am thinking...you could get, butcher boar and then sow after she weans. Then sell piglets. He's just downsizing after keeping too many, too long. We know how the math goes :D Those girls put 8-11 out in about 4 months, so 2X yr....you add that up! Couple gilts don't sell, breed and wooooweeee. In 2 yrs you can sure be overwhelmed. He's thinking he is. :idunno Nice, healthy looking pigs.

I'd like the pork but not fully into the starting up feeding, etc. again right now. Toss up.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Big deal! Especially in dairy goats.
That makes sense. You sure wouldn't want a doe to reach around and itch her udder with her mouth and then you milk and ....ewwww...all manner of nasty. I clean my does udders with baby wipes - not sure that would wipe eradicate a case of sore mouth! I guess it's a case of better safe than sorry!

Icelandics sound cool! If I had sheep I'd want them to be dual and/or triple purpose. Milk, meat and fiber sounds like a really good deal!

Really hope Charlotte pops out some babies for you! They are the cutest little things you've ever seen!

@Mini Horses - get 'em! :)

Latest posts