NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went "back to school" shopping today. Organized all the random pieces of curriculum I have and figured out what else I need. DH tried to call for internet service but apparently they close at 5,which I would have guessed they had evening hours but apparently not.

DH got a free metal roof from a job. Our roof is old and has seen too many New England winters lol.

Umm... The lettuce quit in the heat so now we shall plant kale for fall.

Not much else. Lots of not farm stuff happening! It's so hot and humid and I hate it!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went "back to school" shopping today.
Cool! When are you starting? A formal date or just kinda gonna ease into it?

Nice score on the metal roof! Free stuff is always a good deal.

You gonna plant any other fall type veggies? Broccoli does really well here so I need to start thinking about starting some or look for some started plants.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just kale and carrots. Supposedly carrots can grow over the winter if covered with plenty of hay. I want to try it. I have a zillion tomatoes that I hope will ripen. Like... There's a lot of them lol.

No set date. Fiber class starts next week so I might start with some handwriting and math games next week, easy stuff. I'm pretty flexible and not the sit down and do workbooks type anyway. Half of typical first grade work is learning how to read. Yup, got that already!!

I'm hoping to head down to the aquarium this fall so science will be geared towards that. I believe they even have stuff for kids on their website so I can use that too.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I popped a head missing a few pages. I have a copy of Calvert Kindergarten Math curriculum. I received it for free, have looked through it but no writing in any of the books. Or is this not advanced enough for your DD? I'd be happy to pass it on to you if you want it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh you're so sweet! You won't use it with your son? I'm not really sure where she would be in that curriculum, she knows her numbers, and knows some basic addition and subtraction but she doesn't have the greatest number sense. Plus she's anxious about math so some basics wouldn't be terrible to go over again. She's so good at reading she beats herself up over math. I'm seeing a little perfectionist version of myself in her! Lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have questions for the sheeples (auto correct says that is not a word, I disagree) @tortoise @baymule, whoever else...

I have the opportunity to get a few sheep for a significant "discount" due to someone selling off their flock for health reasons. I'm interested... But, do sheep people test for things like CL? Or OPP? I know dairy goat people tend to be more proactive about testing than a lot of meat goat people, so just wondering what, if anything, sheep people tend to test for. I have a tested herd, and I am not interested in them getting CL from the darn sheep! I haven't spoken directly with the people yet, just in the early stages of considering it. Oh, and they're woolies, cause DD loves her fiber!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Gotta do the Scrappie tags with sheep. I assume you're familiar with that because you have goats.

Sore mouth and foot rot are the most common sheepie diseases that we worry about spreading, but I don't know of any testing for them.

But beware. Since getting sheep I have lost my interest in goats. :hu