NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't wait for the next round of lambs.....then have to wait for them to grow big enough for the freezer.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I made the best dinner tonight, I am low on standard groceries so I went for a random recipe of things I have. So, it was quinoa with chicken broth and tomatoes from the garden with spices (basil, oregano and garlic), then strips of zucchini (from the volunteer garden) and on top was sausage (from our pig) and chevre. and some homemade bread. Sooooo good. Two nights in a row of really good food. That's it, I'm off tomorrow lol!

So tired, and my allergies are acting up. We weren't home most of the day today , tomorrow my car is going to get new brakes so we'll be home and start school (today was field trip day, to the science center). DD must have read a book about someone who hates math because she's decided she hates math and she has no reason to hate math. Darn reading 5 year olds!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man, sounds so good! So now I feel compelled to go eat something - and I'm gonna enjoy it.

You better find DD1 a book about somebody who loves math, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First day of homeschooling, DD did mostly math and loved it. That was easy. Lol.

Was talking to my aunt this morning and she's trying to convince me nubians are parasite resistant and I should get them. Uh, no. They don't actually tend to be, lol. then she's telling me sheep have parasite issues too. Yes. I know this. That's why the breeders I'm looking at breed for resistance. Then she says and sheep need to be shorn. Yes. This would be the point of sheep. Seems like someone is anti-sheep! Haha

Gotta go check on Clifford, he was acting weird a bit ago and he's either being creepy and breeding the air or he's got urinary calculi, which would be weird since he hasn't had grain in a while, but would be my luck. Sigh .

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay on homeschooling and DD loving math!!

Boo on auntie being kinda sorta anti sheep. Yep, kinda hard to get fiber if you don't shear.

Clifford is probably being weird. Not that common for a mature buck to get UC....but....some times bad luck rears its head. However, I think sometimes bucks do very... um... anti G-rated things...:rolleyes: Ugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's in with a doe and 2 wethers so you'd think he would get creepy with them lol! He did a weird hunching thing then peed a tiny bit (yes, it was per lol) I haven't seen him do it again. He seems ok. Maybe just creepy. Bucks are so gross.

The funny part is my aunt is a hand spinner who used to own a fiber flock . I don't think she understands parasite resistance and the difference between a hardy sheep and a wimpy dairy goat. Yes, both need monitoring but there's a real big difference. I don't intend to neglect the sheep lol. I know they need many of the same things!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My boys will do the hunching thing and reach around to see 'it' and sniff "it" and all manner of other gross things.... YUCK!
I don't think she understands parasite resistance and the difference between a hardy sheep and a wimpy dairy goat.
I think some breeds of goats (ahem, Nubian) have been coddled for so long they hardly have any resistance to anything.... :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah he wasnt doing that, lol. But he may have been thinking about it!

Exactly, I think so too. I might get kikos someday when my kids are older. Heck I can milk sheep if I get that interested lol. I've ruled out all the finicky sheep breeds too. DD was sad when I told her my plan until I told her we'll get sheep she can lead train for 4H. She's pretty flexible.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's in with a doe and 2 wethers so you'd think he would get creepy with them lol! He did a weird hunching thing then peed a tiny bit (yes, it was per lol) I haven't seen him do it again. He seems ok. Maybe just creepy. Bucks are so gross.

You know, they pee & pee & PEE! Somewhere down the line, it's gotta get harder to find any to push out! Separate him and see if he has a "healthier" stream in the AM.

If every Nubian were as healthy & resistant as my buck, we'd never buy another wormer. I swear, he is just unreal with that area of his life.

Latest posts