NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's fantastic! If I wanted to keep milking, Clifford does pretty well in the parasite department. But since I don't want to milk next year, and likely for several years, no sense keeping him around. I'd keep him with the ram we'll eventually get but who wants wool that smells like that?? Ewww

Now DH wants a herding dog. I'm like... could I get a few sheep first? Lol!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here I was feeling all guilty about getting rid of Clifford. Went in to feed tonight... he bit me! That little !&#&#*!! Anyway he's acting normal so apparently he's just creepy. And life lesson, he's not a fan of the garden hose.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness - that made me laugh! He IS a little #$%%&%^%$!! Yep - garden hoses and goats don't co-exist well together.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Time for Clifford to find a new home. Chomp. Pee. Chomp. Pee some more. LOL

At least my ram doesn't pee all over himself. But you do have to watch out for rams, they will try you.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes I know how rams can be, that was my biggest concern about getting sheep. At least we want little sheep! Clifford is in the barn now and the whole barn smells so awful. It's crazy humid and it makes it so much worse, lol! I'm hoping that by breeding Patty early, I'll sell him quickly because everyone else will be looking to breed their girls. He's not a bad little buck. Then as soon as it cools down, we'll butcher one of the wethers. Time for a lamb vs goat taste test lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rams, from my very limited experience, don't get too "bad" until 2-3 years old. Keep a ram lamb, send Daddy ram to slaughter. Rinse, repeat.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought about that, but at what point do you need new genetics, even if you butcher everyone won't you end up with mutants at some point? Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Was just thinking, Shetlands are considered lamb quality until 2 and are slow growers so I could get 2 seasons out of a ram, use a son, then get new genetics every 4-6 years. That'd get me pretty far. hmm... we'll see!

Latest posts