NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man I wish! Lol you probably do too!

DH is going to get hay tonight from the guy who used to be our hay guy years ago, who I am making our hay guy again lol. Gorgeous hay, $4/bale in the field, nice big bales. I'll take it

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm soon jealous! I want 4 dollar hay- but dang I don't want to get it outta the field unless I'm driving the truck pulling the trailer!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah well I got to drive the car and trailer! Lol! Then DH had to go back with his friend to get more because we have a tiny trailer and the kids were all done with the car. Long day!

The bales are huge. 60+lbs, and we get all the broken ones in the field for free. Woohoo! Gorgeous, chemical free hay, yes!

And yeah... DH probably wouldn't mind having horses, he's just not a fan of the expense. And he believes that horses (that aren't old and retired) need to be worked every day. So he's like yeah... that's a lotta work lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for hay - but even more for being the driver! Tossing a hundred 60 lb bales isn't any fun at all - glad somebody else did the tossing.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, and some of the bales were bigger. Like 80lbs lol. I guess I am all set on hay! It doesn't really fit... oops! We'll make it, supposed to pour tomorrow. Remnants of the hurricane. Actually could start any time. They're still in the field. Load number three. So is the guy who hays it, he's trying to finish wrapping round bales!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang, hope y'all get it before the rain- and hope the hay-dr gets the rest of it wrapped up. I didn't realize y'all would be getting any of that rain.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got it! And he left about 25 extra bales for us that he didn't feel like dealing with! Yes! Poor DH went to bed around 2am. I didn't sleep much either. But, no more emergency hay runs. We have wood pellets and hay. Bring on winter! Ok.... maybe not yet!

Cherry tomatoes are going to be done shortly, the Romas are not quite done yet. Hoping to get a few more weeks before frost. I've honestly been freezing all the tomatoes to deal with later. Baby insists, lol! I think we'll plant carrots soon and cover with hay. Supposedly this will work.

I am anxious to have a real garden next year. Looking forward to winter days with my seed catalogues !!