NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For all the crap I give my husband about all the things we need done that never get accomplished. ... most of them are about to. The dude gets stuff done when he has a tractor! Our place will look a whole lot different shortly.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol - not sure why that is - but it IS the truth! It's kinda like a recreational vehicle instead of a tool kinda thing...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol yep, also some of the stuff is really brutal to do by hand but easy with the tractor! I think he wants to butcher a wether soon. The other is going to hang out for the winter to gain a little more weight. I can't wait to find out what goat tastes like. He's going to try to tan the hides too, he's always wanted to do that.

It's pouring this morning, but only supposed to rain for another hour or so. DH can't wait to get tractoring!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, and the tractor we were gonna buy? Don't have to buy it, he said we can just keep it here and he only needs it twice a year. Uh, free full time access to a tractor? Yeah ok!

IMO, that's how it should be. He isn't using, would loan it to you anyway -- so just changing the "garage" location to reverse of now. I love my tractor.

When I go shopping I'm buying non-dairy stuff and I'll quit dairy for a couple weeks and see what happens.

Stopping dairy for 2 weeks, then having some -- ok, bad with nausea -- should tell you for sure, pretty much. Shame if it is that as you have dairy goats.:rolleyes: But, also kids & DH to drink it. :idunno Did they recheck you for the diabetes issues?

It's kinda like a recreational vehicle instead of a tool kinda thing...

Funny you say this because, when I go online to pay my tractor payment, the loan says just that! Recreational vehicle....:D So, yeah, son needs to return it so you can "recreate".

Free pig! :celebrate New house double yah!! :thumbsup

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like we are BOTH preparing to see if we actually "like" this goat me we have raised. It's a little scary, to me -- as I have it here right now, like NOW. That said, after thinking about the questions of aging, etc., I have decided I will go ahead and package some of mine today (24 hrs after) and save a portion in frig for 2 more days Plan to cook a piece today, also. Like before all else.

My theory is that I know how she was fed and kept -- it is NOT wild meat -- people dispatch & throw on grill right then, all the time. :idunno Plus it is more convenient for me. Busy day! :DHey, I can make a couple phone calls to some I know eat it and like it. If I don't, it will save ME some time & effort.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
UPDATE --

Took a little tenderloin in & put into hot skillet with only a bit of olive oil. I was cut into small slices for quick cook. Browned on both sides. Gotta say I took a tiny piece at first...in case. I'm eating it! OK -- mild lambish taste, not quite veal but close. milder than expected. Added some salt, another added garlic. My only negative would be that it is chewier than either lamb/veal. It would sure lose most of that if cooked low & slow. And I think adding some red wine after initial brown, simmer a touch...yes, that would be great!

Hey, it's here, free, I know how it was raised. Hope that helps you NH.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep diabetes check was fine, no issues. Sounds good, is it similar to venison? Love venison. I always cook it low and slow, usually in the crockpot, or grind and mix with pork fat.

The leaf peepers are out in full force. Columbus day weekend is possibly the busiest tourist weekend of the year. Bumper to bumper out of state plates, my parents went to northern NH yesterday and said it was painful, 5-10 mph on the interstate (it's a 1 lane interstate through the mountains ).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Took a little tenderloin in & put into hot skillet with only a bit of olive oil. I was cut into small slices for quick cook. Browned on both sides. Gotta say I took a tiny piece at first...in case. I'm eating it! OK -- mild lambish taste, not quite veal but close. milder than expected. Added some salt, another added garlic. My only negative would be that it is chewier than either lamb/veal. It would sure lose most of that if cooked low & slow. And I think adding some red wine after initial brown, simmer a touch...yes, that would be great!

Yay - glad it's getting a positive review! When I cooked mine in the crock pot - it was sooo tender!

Yep diabetes check was fine, no issues
YaY! That is awesome. :celebrate

Leaf Peepers - I love that, lol. But, I guess it's not as fun if you have to live with it every year.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just make that weekend fall yard cleanup weekend, lol. Though this year it was take in FIL's docks weekend too. And today I tried to catch up on laundry and am now visiting my parents while DH does all the work! Whatever, he's having fun!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds good, is it similar to venison? Love venison.

Havn't had any in years. I don't buy a lot of lamb or veal because of prices! But, have had both fairly recent. It is a chewy meat, not really "tough" but, longer grained meat.
Crockpot, slow simmer, yes, it will probably be super tender. That's my next try.