NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmm well we will see! If I had to guess, I would guess that DH will like it and I will not. Perhaps I will be surprised though! I am particular about texture of meat. But I'll probably like it ground and in stews.

DH is still on the tractor. He's very happy he does not have to work tomorrow, and he shall tractor all day lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't find it chewy at all...but probably because I crockpotted (is that even a word, lol) all that I cooked except for the ribs. Gotta say that the ribs on a pygmy goat aren't all that satisfying! Just not enough there! All this talk is making me hungry for some goat! Guess I need to find a goat to process?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey, I hear you've got plenty ;)

I don't bother with ribs, even on pigs we do boneless. I don't like eating off the bone though, holdover from my vegetarian days I suppose!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep! And he's doing more now!

We are going to get rid of our polishes. We didn't get them moved away from the others, and one is missing half its feathers now. And really, 2-3 chickens can't stay warm in our winter without heat. We don't heat chickens. So, DD1 requested a pet rabbit lol. Since they were "her" chickens. Sigh. At least I like rabbits!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow I start dairy free. Well, not to the extent that I read labels for non-obvious things, but no obvious dairy products anyway. we'll see ...

I found two perfect little sheep, but right now we have to register the car, fix DH's truck and a zillion other things. Boo for bad sheep timing! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bye-bye Polish - Hello Bunny!

Ugh on dairy free - but yay if it helps you feel better.

Bad timing on the sheep for sure, but hopefully there'll be more opportunities down the road.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like bunnies better than chickens anyway, and so does DD!

Our little cross beak hen will probably go in a stew pot with the cockerels before winter. Her beak is looking pretty bad and she's so small, she probably doesn't need to be subjected to our brutal winter. So we'll only have 5 chickens this winter! Sheesh! Next year we are not incubating, we'll wait for a broody and give her eggs. Sick of doing all that work mama hen should be doing!

DH is home today, going to move the pigs so the neighbor can come over with his big tractor and we can het the big coop moved (pigs are in the way!)

Had almond milk in my coffee this morning. It's underwhelming, lol, but no stomach pain or nausea yet. Hmmm... this could be sad for me!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I thought of something when I read about your dairy issues. Does this sound like you?

Lactose Intolerance Symptoms
  • Abdominal bloating, pain, or cramps.
  • Borborygmi (rumbling or gurgling sounds in the stomach)
  • Diarrhea.
  • Flatulence, or gas.
  • Nausea, which may be accompanied by vomiting.

If that's the case, I think there are lactose free dairy products and milk available nowadays, that you can use as substitute.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My latest hatch of chicks and quail is predominantly male in the chick department. Only two male quail out of 10 so not bad. I think about 60/40 on the chicks. But, I think I got a nekkid neck roo! I'm excited even though they are ugly (so ugly they're cute) little critters!