NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:fl No snow! :fl

Yay on making progress. Sometimes it seems like not much is getting done but every little bit helps. Hope he can get the driveway taken care of! Uh...moving the hoop house and hay does NOT sound like fun...but to make things more convenient it'll probably be worth the effort. All that "work" talk is making me realize how much I need to get done too...ugh.

Yay for neighbors and big tractors!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I see the chicken coop moving, yay! It's been stuck in a spot I never wanted it for like two years now because my step dad tried to move it with his tractor and that was as far as it would go. SO HAPPY it's gone from there now lol!

Piggies next!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All the pig huts are moved, the kids' play structure is moved, all 6 tons of pellets are moved because they were in an annoying place. Now we have to go around and move some fencing, and then we tackle the hoop house and 100 bales of hay! (Not today though)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a big accomplishment for one day! Don't blame ya on not doing the hoop house and hay... Ya'll have earned a break after all that.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made chicken pot pie from scratch day. It took SO LONG because I made the broth today and everything. DH finished on the tractor about 10 minutes before dinner. He's freezing and exhausted and his phone rings. His friend needs help skinning a pig before dark. Can't wait to hear the story there, but the kids and I ate dinner and he's off skinning a pig. Poor DH.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was super good but now I feel bleh. ugh.

Not bad today, low 50's. I think 34 tonight. He's just a whiner lol. I thought it was lovely today!

He would have said no but this is the friend who has helped us skin and gut 90% of the pigs we've butchered so, I suppose its fair lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That chicken pot pie sounds good. I made a lamb pie with store bought crust and it was delicious. I am going to get brave and make my own crust next time. I love pot pies.

Your DH is a good man and friend. It sounds like the friend he went to help, helps y'all too, so it was a good thing to do.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Was there dairy in your pot pie? Sounds like a fair trade on pig butchering/skinning. Maybe just a little bit of bad timing...

@baymule I like the pie crusts that come in a flat box - the kind you unfold and put in your own pan. They're pretty darn good if ya ask me. First time I had one of those was the last time I ever made my own pie crust!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate making crust but I sucked it up, lol! It was yummy!

DH is going to help the friend cut up that pig tomorrow and he said we could have some pork in exchange, yay! Apparently it was an emergency butchering , the pig was choking on something and the other pigs were going after it, bye bye piggie.

And yes , milk and butter but it wasn't even that much! Ugh!!!

Latest posts