NH Homesteader's journal

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So I have been doing some reading, and it's interesting to see that different ethnicities are predisposed to lactose intolerance. Apparently Native Americans have a rather high rate of it. Which makes sense as they were hunter/gatherers. I am definitely part Native American so I found that interesting!
That's very interesting! Have you looked to see if you can find lactose free milk/milk products?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I won't drink raw milk so I have no idea, but lactose is there regardless of pasteurization so, my guess would be it would still be an issue.

I haven't looked yet, I've just had almond milk in my coffee and skipped other dairy. I'm curious how they make things lactose free... have to look that up.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's pouring. Again. We are so fortunate to live on a hill with great runoff or we'd be swamped this year. It was 78 yesterday, high of 60 today and will have highs in the 40's by the weekend. Then it should settle I would think.

DH has to work part of the weekend, I'm sure he's a stress case because he still has so much to do before winter! Most of which I can't help with (tractor work).

Oh I looked it up , lactose free milk has lactase added. What I can't find is how they're producing the lactase. Will keep searching ...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh geeze on the rain. We are in a tiny dry spell! Not supposed to get wet again until maybe Sunday.

You mean your tractor doesn't have child seats? LOL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope, and I've never learned how to drive a tractor either! So I'll let him do that.

It stopped raining for a few minutes so baby and I ran out to feed. And then it downpoured. Good thing she had a hat and coat on! She's teething and growth spurting so tired and chomping on everything. Not too grumpy though, just a little more demanding than usual.

Getting used to my cream- less coffee, but not loving it Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It snowed up in northern NH last night. Not here, thank goodness! Chilly though, below freezing tonight.

I had some dairy today and I feel like, bloated. Pretty convincing.

Yesterday we went to the wildlife rehab/science center for the last time before they close the trails for the winter. They have an elderly coyote there. In front of his enclosure it says very clearly not to howl at him, it's incredibly stressful for him. So we are a fair distance away and hear the coyote sounding off , more than howling, and not the happy yipping they do either . It was unhappy coyote noises. These people are standing there howling at him and pounding on the glass and recording him!! My mother yelled "leave the coyote alone"! Which is good because I was about to yell "are you illiterate or just a @$^@) $" lol. But seriously, who are these jerks? ?? Ugh!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhhh, the poor thing. :( Glad your mom called 'em out! (so you didn't have to)

Dang, ya'll got some serious temperatures going on...below freezing...that's crazy! Guess it's about to begin for ya'll. I'll take a bit more heat - not ready for cold cold yet!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We still have so so much to do so please no snow yet! DH is already on the tractor today. He's been working on the driveway, trying to make It so we don't have so many issues come spring when the snow melts. And now he's digging out a stump that's in the way. So we can move the hoop house and all our hay (that'll be fun). Then we can get to the pig huts and chicken coop, and move the kid toys (play structure and sandbox ) to where I want them. It seems like he's hardly gotten anything done but he has, it's just that there's still so much left!

He has someone coming to get a big load of scrap, he's getting rid of a lot of the hoarder pile of things he says he'll get to and never does (yay!) And he's considering selling the old sawmill but we'll see. I've finally got him in downsizing mode. Yes!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:fl No snow! :fl

Yay on making progress. Sometimes it seems like not much is getting done but every little bit helps. Hope he can get the driveway taken care of! Uh...moving the hoop house and hay does NOT sound like fun...but to make things more convenient it'll probably be worth the effort. All that "work" talk is making me realize how much I need to get done too...ugh.