NH Homesteader's journal

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow, your DH got a lot done! Sucks about (and for) the pig butchering, but sounds like a good deal for you though. I always buy pie crusts. After cooking the filling I usually don't have the energy to mess with pastry and all that from scratch as well.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well DH hasn't heard from his friend and it's going to get warm later so... yeah I don't know what his plan is.

I'm super irritated right now. The hay in the barn is molding already. I haven't checked the hay in the hoop house yet. I will not be surprised if it is too. We haven't finished paying the hay guy yet and DH is going to have a chat with him. He's not getting $4/bale when he didn't let it dry long enough. I think we might have a whole bunch of mulch hay. Which I don't need. At all. Ugh.

Also, the cockerel we were going to keep appears to have broken his foot.

I'm so frustrated. This has been the worst farming year we've ever had. Nothing is going right.

I woke up feeling like yuck this morning and realized that I usually feel like yuck every morning but had been feeling better since quitting dairy. Yup I'm convinced. It'll make a big difference in how I cook, and I think I'll stick with buying milk and yogurt for the girls and mostly phase out dairy from main meals. I'm all done being a dairy goat gal. I'm just keeping Patty and a wether friend as pets. I'll probably get some Icelandic sheep in the future and can occasionally milk them to make cheese, etc for the girls and DH. No point keeping a breeding program of dairy goats but sheep that are there for other purposes as well, I can justify.

And life goes on .... it's pouring rain (again!) today and it fits my mood. Bleh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh no...moldy hay is not good! Will suck if you have to buy all new hay.

I see your point about phasing out the dairy goats. Doesn't make sense if your body can't tolerate dairy anymore. :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's ok, if I only have 2 goats to feed I don't need much hay anyway!

DH and I just had a long chat about farming and self sufficiency, having disappointments and all the fun stuff. We are looking forward to having more hardy, self sufficient animals. Dairy goats are high maintenance and not suited to our wet weather, and having hardy sheep and pigs will suit us better. I also want to get my hunting license so we can get our max amount of venison. Change of focus. It's not bad, just different. Lots of sheep mentors here, few goat folks. That'll be nice, to have a local mentor.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's why I don't have dairy goats or a cow, I'm just not that dedicated and then I'd have to do something with the milk. We did buy from a Guernsey raw milk dairy, but they got stupid on prices-$12 a gallon! So we now buy from the grocery store. I love my sheep, Low maintenance, easy care. I have never had my arm up a ewe's hoo-hah pulling on a lamb. They just surprise me! LOL

I really think that you and your husband are on the right track. Why keep beating your head on the wall for something that isn't working? You have had your failures and now know what works, so go for it.

I have bought the rolled up pie crust in a box and found it to be good. Pie crust is one of those failure items for me, so I want to learn how to make a good crust at least once in my life! LOL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! I can get raw cow milk for $5/gallon.

A lot of Shetland people aren't even trimming hooves unless there's an issue. If they have enough rocks in their pasture they wear them down fine. I am liking these sheep, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is a Jersey dairy that sells milk for $6 a gallon, but is a 45 minute drive away. Hard to justify that.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah it is. There is a local dairy also that sells their milk at the grocery store. That's nice too, convenient and local. And it comes in glass jars :) lol but I like this grocery store because they offer a lot of local food. It's great!

I got a lead on some great sheep. Like, gorgeous and from down south (so new genetics to the area), but transportation could be covered. I just have to touch base with them about price and availability. It might be spring, it might be next fall, but in the next year I'm going to have some lovely sheep. The woman who teaches fiber class met them and can also transport for me. Yay!

DH cleared the spot for the hoop house today. DD was the only kid at class, which she kind of likes I think. She did some spinning. She likes that a lot. She spun alpaca, which made her day because she's obsessed with alpacas!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Shetlands! Hardy, easy to take care of, little and easy to handle and they like browse as well as grazing. Which is great because I've got lots of brush.

No alpacas for me. They're not parasite resistant. A lot of people give them ivermectin monthly! Meningeal worm is the biggest issue with them I believe. We'll have to live with visiting alpaca farms!

Latest posts