NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's so interesting because whenever I have brought home a new goat, they just come in and try to take over lol. Sheep are so much more nervous! They didn't eat a ton last night but I put hay in front of them this morning and they started eating right away. I guess they don't like the location of my hay feeders!

Warm (ish) and rainy today... it's move out day! though they haven't come to prep this place to move it yet so we will be able to move a bunch of stuff out tomorrow also, but we are not staying here tonight.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
but we are not staying here tonight.
Big, major step in getting the new place is getting out of the old one! Woo Hoo for BIG steps!!

So, about the sheep....you said the usually shear in February? Do they do that everywhere, or do they adjust for climate? Like in warmer areas shear earlier - colder areas later? Seems like in some places February is the coldest month of the year so how do they stay warm? Do you put a coat on 'em? I'm so curious, lol. And - no - I'm not gonna get sheep unless it's a hairless one destined for the freezer. I do love lamb. :drool

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most people don't shear that early. They shear before lambing. This family lambs early because they show in 4H, and lambs have to be 3 months before they can show. The person who teaches DD1's fiber class lambs in April so she shears later. No coats for Shetlands, their wool will felt! Apparently if you shear in winter, you should lock them in the barn for 2-3 days and then their lanolin will have come in and they're good to go. I could shear now if I wanted to.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow - all that makes great sense. So the lanolin coating is what keeps them warm and waterproof-ish? That's cool!

I can't remember if you mentioned it before but are these gals bred?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some of DH's friends were here today and they all thought the sheep were awesome, lol. They're popular already! I might like them better than goats... we shall see... @tortoise you might be right!

DH bought a cheap little 2 door 5 speed Civic today because his truck is not a commuter (horrible gas mileage!) And I am so sick of sharing my car! So happy! He doesn't need a truck at either job (he has a work truck at one and the other he usually drives a snowmobile lol)