NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So today this guy cut me off in a truck with the business name written all over it. Smart dude. DH called and complained and the guy said it wasn't the first complaint he's had about that guy and he's now earned himself a date with HR and some complimentary driving classes lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Boy is he a dummy! Glad your DH called!

We had a problem with a delivery service. Twice now they've left a package on the ground by the mailbox - by the road! These are DH's medical supplies and they are $700.00 before our pitiful insurance reimbursement and they left them ON THE GROUND. NEXT TO THE ROAD. NEXT TO A DITCH FULL OF WATER. Like have they never heard of "porch pirates?" This guy made it so much easier for them - they don't even have to come to the porch. Just drive by and scoop it up....ARGH!

I took a pic. DH called the service and sent the pic. It's supposed to be "handled" so we shall see...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We've had the same issue: over 1K of medical supplies dumped on the side of the road beside our mail box. I wasted no time calling the company and giving them a bit of education in how packages should be marked for handling.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader , I have a standby meal plan for when I just can't think about it. First day of the week is a whole chicken or a big roast and the rest of the week is various ways to eat off it. The genius part is any leftovers are incorporated back into the menu within 4 days, so no food waste. Like, leftover marinara dumped into the chili. I chucked mine since this new forever diet I'm on, so I'm sorry I can't share more details. I took the meals we liked best and picked the top 5 - 6. Always leave one day unplanned because life happens. I hope to find a similar collection of family meals that work on my new diet. Right now it's a new recipe every day. Trying to find 6 meals we all like enough to repeat frequently.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think part of my problem is I always feel like I need to impress everyone (who?? Lol) and also give my kids a huge variety of foods. I don't know, maybe I've read too many yuppie parenting magazines lol. My kids really like eating the same foods most days for the other meals.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Patty's udder is growing... I'm getting nervous, it's going to get super cold at the end of next week. She needs to time this well for me lol. I need to look back at when I put her in with Clifford so I know how early this could happen. I think I'm more nerved up than I was last year!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I'm more nerved up than I was last year!
Oh no.... You have an alternative heat source? I actually used a heat lamp for the last two kiddings here. I only used it the first night the babies were born - but of course we're not anywhere near your temps... Hope she waits for better weather!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have three of those fancy premier 1 heat lamps that are pretty safe (for heat lamps) and we cut a hole in a barrel and put the heat lamp over it, what's it called, a warming jug or something? either way worked GREAT last year , my big worry is getting kids dry and then they should be fine. Barn is nice and dry, no drafts.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds like the perfect set-up. I think they're "warming barrels" when you use the light and the barrel and they can crawl inside. I was worried about PIA because she went on the night that we got down into the 20's. I got hers dried off gave them a bit of hand-fed colostrum - turned the light on and went to bed. That's pretty much the same thing I did with Cameo's babies. Mine only got the light for one night because our daytime temps are reasonable. I can't wait for you to get babies!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have three of those fancy premier 1 heat lamps that are pretty safe (for heat lamps) and we cut a hole in a barrel and put the heat lamp over it, what's it called, a warming jug or something? either way worked GREAT last year , my big worry is getting kids dry and then they should be fine. Barn is nice and dry, no drafts.
I think they'll be fine :) I remember reading James Herriot's wonderful books and he recalled lambing in freezing weather... The little ones did great out there. You have a great set up for them! Hope they will show up soon for you.