NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can’t be good all the time! Of course, it’s never my fault, lol! My neighbor brought me fresh tamales yesterday and I must admit that I scarfed a few of them down. I’m weak....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks sumi!

I am trying to get some sort of routine down for dinners. I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel every week. Now that DH is on a more routine schedule, I feel like I can do that. Not the same meals every week but go with the meatless Monday, taco Tuesday, pizza Friday thing lol.

I've been married 8 years, we've been together almost 10... and he just tells me last night that he doesn't really like onions. Men...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am trying to get some sort of routine down for dinners. I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel every week. Now that DH is on a more routine schedule, I feel like I can do that. Not the same meals every week but go with the meatless Monday, taco Tuesday, pizza Friday thing lol.

I've been married 8 years, we've been together almost 10... and he just tells me last night that he doesn't really like onions. Men...

I found your last comment laughable. Yep! After many years, DH told me that he didn't like fish. It took many more years before I found out that was not a true statement. He does like fish. He just does not like pan fried fish!

I like to cook a meal that can be stretched: cook hamburg with onions, peppers, garlic. Use some for tacos, some for chili, some for spaghetti sauce. Cook chicken breasts with a creamy neufchatel sauce. After the first meal, add more broth, some frozen mixed veggies, a bit of rice, barley or pasta, and turn it into soup. Roast beef ---> Beef barley veggie soup. Meat loaf + corn or other veggies, mashed potatoes, and what ever sauce you like + CHEESE!!! = Shepherd's pie. Any left overs taking up space in the fridge can usually be dumped into a casserole dish and turned into a delectable soup. Bake more potatoes and garlic than you'll eat = lots of yummy potato/veggie/cheese lunches. When cutting onion or pepper, cut more than you'll use. Put the extra into the freeze for fast pizza toppings, or a start for chop suey, etc.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do some of that,though it's hard with picky eaters I have issues with dairy, onions and garlic (SO sad, I always loved garlic!), DD1 was put on a "heart healthy" diet per her pediatrician, DH has nut allergies, and the baby, well she's a baby so chewing is an issue lol. Sigh. I'm trying though!

We're doing meat birds this year, which will help. I am going to up our fish intake. I don't know how we're supposed to eat "heart healthy " and raise lard pigs :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It rained all day yesterday. No, poured . Then it flooded, and there are ice dams on the river downtown.... Then it all froze. The stream in our yard flooded one of the pig pens (her house was still high and dry!) and almost flooded the driveway but DH managed to get it flowing again. Sheesh! Our yard is a sheet of ice now. Ugh.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
After all the rain we got yesterday, we're headed into a deep freeze again. That water has no where to go. My chicken run is a sopping mess. but, my paths are for the most part cleared. Down to bare grass. So far, I'd rate this winter as an "easy" one. Still 7 weeks to go according to the calendar. But, we often get snow till mid/late April. One year, in April, hubby had to plow our ROAD so we could make it out to get to the airport for a flight to Florida!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes it hasn't been too bad yet. Though there's a lot of winter left!

They did a horrid job of insulating our attic so we've been using loads of propane. Hoping they'll remedy that soon.

Did I mention our awful roof? The factory did an awful job of that also. They've just agreed to give us a new metal roof! DH will get a friend to help put it on.

I can't wait for spring. I want to start seeds, paint the house (it's all primer), I'll have the sheep sheared in March and wool to play with ... we have to tap trees before long here. Syrup season gets us through the end of winter!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score