NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Patty looks more pregnant, udder is there but that's all I can tell you lol... she ate like a pig per usual so might be a bit! Supposed to be in the 40's, maybe even 50 the next 2 days, would love if she had them during that weather.

Here's Marigold. Marigold likes grain. Can you tell I am the keeper of the grain?
20190203_161753.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She likes me if there's no grain. She loves me if there's grain. Her mother would kill herself trying to run away if there's no grain, and will tolerate me (and only me thus far) if there's grain lol! Sheep are weird, but I do like that they don't run me over when I walk in like my goats do. No shoving, no trying to push through the gate or door. They stay back while I go in and fill the mineral feeder, and come over if I have a treat. It's more pleasant for me than pushy goats, especially with a baby strapped to me! I don't like pushy animals in general, I prefer my pigs to be less invasive too. Even if they're invading space for belly rubs!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Her face is a lovely brown, is her body brown? Is the brown a winter color hair -- maybe darker when shed? Yep, goats can be a little "personal" & in your space. :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I do like that they don't run me over when I walk in like my goats do. No shoving, no trying to push through the gate or door. They stay back while I go in and fill the mineral feeder, and come over if I have a treat.
better stop feeding them grain then! LOL! My ewes can be downright scary sometimes, they run up to me and look like they're not going to slow down and will crash into me. When I go in with them, they mob me. Surrounded by ewes, they're mouthing my coat, trying to stick noses in my pockets, licking my hands. :love I love tame friendly livestock! :love

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love friendly and tame, I don't love mob scenes! Shetlands are weird anyway lol. I only feed them grain on occasion.

Her color is called moorit. She was born brown and it faded over time, though her color underneath is darker than her outer wool. I'll get pictures when they're shorn next month! I can't wait to see what they look like under there! They're so thick, you can shear them twice a year and I kind of think it might be better for them if I do. Problem is finding a shearer in fall...

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dad started his first flock when he was 14. By the time he graduated high school, he had 100. He took blue ribbons at the state fairs, out competing seasoned herd owners, and made spending money by going to the area farms and shearing sheep. He could shear a sheep in just a few minutes. I remember watching when I was quite young. Even at that age, I remember thinking: this can't be good for the shearer's back!!! He still has the electric clippers he bought 75 years ago, and they work as well now as they did then. They don't make electronics the way they used to!!!