1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. American wheat beer - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

NH Homesteader's journal

Discussion in 'Member's "Self Sufficient Living" Journals' started by NH Homesteader, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Feb 18, 2019
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Oh I love your buck. And the spots, omg you make me want nubians lol. But, kinders are a nice size. A little bigger than my minis maybe. I think they'll be lovely for me!

Dusty, lol!!! That's a rut pic if I've ever seen one!

2. Feb 18, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Probably. They're a nice size...kinda not too big - not too small. Still easy enough to handle but it doesn't feel like a "toy" goat, lol.

NH Homesteader likes this.
  3. Feb 18, 2019
    NH Homesteader

Perfect. My biggest complaint about my minis is they all inherited the milk fat from their alpine moms. We liked our Nigerians milk much better, there just wasn't enough of it!

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  4. Feb 19, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

I would, too :lol:

Well, just remember this anatomical fact....It's not just the leg length on the buck because his equipment is about 1/2 way up his belly. That adds several inches to his "reach". They can be amazing. I can attest to this.

A friend once brought some goats to my old farm to be taken to the butcher the next day with mine. One was a pygmy buck. OF COURSE, he got out of a secure pen (helicopter escape??) and he bred a Boer doe!! We found him out of the pen and 5 months later we found trip kids from this pregnant doe. Didn't know he was dad until you saw the kids!!! 3 pygmies, colored white with red heads. :mad: :lol: I call my friend and said, I have a gift for you -- 3 of them!!

sumi and frustratedearthmother like this.
  5. Feb 19, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

That's funny! I'll bet those babies were cute, cute, cute! There is the definite possibility that a pygmy can sometimes score on his own...but Chester failed miserably at anything except another pygmy or the nigi doe. But, stranger things have happened for sure.

6. Feb 19, 2019
    NH Homesteader

Lol! That's impressive, a boer! I bet they were cute kids. Hey, you getting those boers?

DH likes to keep little critters. Next I will have to figure out what kind of ram to get. It would be nice if the ram and buck could live together (not during rut) but I don't know... So much testosterone! Lol

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  7. Feb 19, 2019
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Too bad you couldn't buy my ram, he's a nice boy. I listed him on Craigslist, but no bites. We loaded him this evening, taking him to slaughter Wednesday morning. He was a twin, his Mom always twins and has a bag like a milk goat. Good disposition, gee, I am talking myself into keeping him....nope, can't do it. He is half brother to 4 of my ewes, full brother to one, and son of another. Out of 9 ewes, he is related to 6. :\ I have a FABULOUS little ewe that he is the brother and the father to. So, ramburger he will become. Why do I feel so bad?:(

8. Feb 19, 2019
    NH Homesteader

Because it's sad! Farming sucks sometimes! My ewes are only about 75lbs so I couldn't use him anyway, lol. They're itty bitty sheepies!

baymule and Mini Horses like this.
  9. Feb 19, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

haven't yet.....just a matter of time, I will buy some

10. Feb 19, 2019
    NH Homesteader

DH finally agreed that we can have a shetland pony someday ... yay! He won't get anything bigger than that though, lol. We have a good, reasonably priced hay source now so makes it more doable.

Hoping we get a good chunk of brush and land clearing done in the next year or two and we can get some pastures set up to rotate. Once we have bigger pastures fenced off, I'll put the sheep and goats back together because they'll have plenty of space to avoid each other if they want to.

Mini Horses and baymule like this.