NH Homesteader's journal

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We're having unusually mild weather here still and enjoying it while it lasts! That's the temperature anyway, the rain is back and though it's not heavy, it's keeping things wet out.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sumi I wonder if sheep and goat farmers there have issues with wet weather like we do. I'm thinking not as much because their animals were bred for that location. I know my shetlands are pretty hardy and parasite resistant because, well they're from Shetland lol. Plus seems like they're able to graze larger areas there maybe?

Yuck on rain FEM. It's kind of ridiculous, I feel like it's been years of constant rain for you :(

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I didn't see many people here with goats, but sheep are absolutely everywhere... When I lived in Achill island, I found many, many of them roaming the island, the roads, the streets in the village... Farmers mark them for identification and you're in trouble if you accidentally hit one with your car o_O (I had two dang close calls - those things have zero road sense) The wet weather here doesn't bother them at all it seems. Many of them live practically wild out there, wherever there is grass for them.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah here if your animal is in the road and gets hit, you get in a lot of trouble! I imagine they do well because they're allowed to basically free range and aren't exposed to as many parasites. They're also likely not managed as closely so the strong survive .

Ugh so much mud!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh you know, cold. Lol, 'bout 30 and headed into the single digits next week, daytime highs in the teens before wind chill. We're sick of it.

Lucky or not so Lucky is growing great. Charlotte's fat. The usual, lol. Need to ivermectin Rosie, she's got some patchy fur. It's that time of year.

We went to an antique store today and DH got an old meat saw and meat cleaver. We walked outside and this not so farmer type guy was in his car staring at us like we were lunatics. It was hilarious!

School vacation week in Massachusetts this week, so the roads are full of snowmobile trailers and skiers, all out of state plates. Gotta love it (not).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh dang....too hot here today. We hit 80 with a "feels like" temp of 86 for awhile. I was glistening!

Come on Charlotte!

I've been trying to worm pigs today too, lol. Talk about a lesson in futility! I put the ivomec on a piece of bread and toss it. I try to make sure everybody gets some - but dang - it's a feeding frenzy out there so I'm never 100% sure I got 'em all!

Ya'll having Spring Break already?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah for school kids, now and again in April . College spring break is mid March.

That's the nice thing about having only a few pigs!

I'm so looking forward to my sheep being shorn. They're serious wide loads right now! Going to CDT them when they're shorn . I can't find them in there now, lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Snow and ice today, again. Supposed to have wind gusts up to 60mph tomorrow and high around 15 degrees (with wind chill it'll feel below 0). It's just cold. I'm sick of the cold! I feel whiny lol.