NH Homesteader's journal

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DS is trying to talk me into getting ducks too. They are so stinking cute and so much fun! :)

How are the piggies doing now?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are, they're also terribly smelly and messy lol but whatever! I am hoping they can live with the chickens since we are fencing in a big area for them. And we won't keep a drake, just a few hens. Drakes are a pain!

Piggies are good. 2 girls, 1 boy and 1 unknown because he/she hasn't turned around at the right time yet lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son wants a duck. "A" duck - not two ducks - not more. Eh...probably not a good situation. But, since he's wanted one for several years now and hasn't moved on it - I'll just let it be, lol!

Two girl piggies is great - 3 would be better! :fl

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They are, they're also terribly smelly and messy lol but whatever! I am hoping they can live with the chickens since we are fencing in a big area for them. And we won't keep a drake, just a few hens. Drakes are a pain!
I know! I hatched and brooded some for a friend a few years ago and I couldn't believe the mess those little things made! lol They are adorable though. Ducks can live with chickens, yes. I know of a few people who keep mixed flocks, sometimes even letting them share coops. Drakes can be a problem if they start trying to mate with your (chicken) hens. They can really hurt them. Ducks will be fine though.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know a few people that do also. Biggest thing is keeping water for the chickens clean, which can be accomplished by giving them a separate waterer up high. Also they tend to poop on the ducks when they roost lol. DH had to do away with our last drake because he was going after babies. That doesn't fly here! DH is allergic to duck eggs so 2-3 hens would be plenty.

The weather seems to have turned. It's going to be above freezing daytime temps as far out as I can see in the forecast. Finally!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Uh I was trying to add a pic but apparently my new phone doesn't want me to actually find my files... so I'll work on that later. Piggie count is 3 females, 1 Male and they all look fantastic. Even the runt (who's a female). They're so stinking cute! I just love that you can pick up a piglet and have it squeal at you and mama is like meh, whatever lol.

Patty's buckling is getting huge. We have to weigh him tomorrow for toltrazuril. I figure doing it a week late won't hurt anyone since the ground is covered with snow still...

Livestock scale has arrived, it is awesome!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo hoo for female pigs! That's a great ratio - mine always seem to be boy heavy...ugh. Can you post a pic or a link of your livestock scale? I sorta don't have one. I ordered one once and it came in miniature version - like for a poodle or something, lol. But, the pic made it look so big! :lol: Sigh...that's what I get for not reading the fine print.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I don't know that it would be big enough for like a full size buck or anything, I'm not even sure it's big enough for Stanley (though DH disagrees with me), so I don't know if it would be big enough for you lol. Maybe ask SBC or GW what they have, they have one and it'd have to be big enough for their mancha bucks. My sheep are Nigerian sized and Patty isn't much bigger so I don't need as big of one!

My sheep are starting to roo, I'm glad shearing day is next week! I've learned many primitive breeds (like shetlands) can be rooed. Their coat basically breaks off this time of year and can be plucked out by hand. As if I have time to pull out wool clumps, lol. So they're very ready for shearing!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Roo? Glad you explained it, lol. I was just about to google it. I'm not ready to buy a scale now so I'll start exploring...